Chapter 9: The Phantom of the Rock (2/3)

When Káel awoke there was something on his head again. Unfortunately, it wasn't the cold and squirming metal dragon come to nip at his nose. This thing was big, soft, and white. 

          It was his pillow.

          Káel didn't dare to move, because if his pillow was on his head, then it was on the pillow.

          His suspicions were confirmed when he felt a shifting movement, and two fluffy white paws with sharp white talons came down and gripped the stitched white edges with a restless flex. It was waiting for something, the pillow rocking as it wiggled its butt in anticipation, but what?

          Then he noticed the metal dragon, sitting on the nightstand with its tail curled around the front of its feet, and looking timidly in Káel's direction with its glinting sapphire eyes.

          Pressing the pillow down into Káel's face, the dragon leapt forwards and caught the metal dragon in its paws. However, with a short lived victory its hind legs slid off the nightstand dragging the rest of it to the ground, and leaving a couple long white scratch marks on the wood.

          The dragon gave off a warbled cry as it landed on its broken wing, squirming to get back to its feet as Káel threw the pillows off his head. He jumped out of his covers, panting in frantic relief that his face hadn't fallen victim to the feral fluffball. 

          The dragon whimpered softly, reminding Káel it was sitting by his feet still trying to get up, and drawing his gaze to meet a set of unbearably cute puppy eyes.  It reached its puffy paws out for help, melting Káel's fear into a pitying smile as he stupidly lost his fear of the creature again. With a mindless coo in response to its adorable facade, he reached down to help the dragon up, allowing it to grab onto his shoulders and nestle into his arms with a soft and innocent purr. 

          He froze at the rumbling sensation, staring at the small dragon while he worked out the fact that dragons could purr, slowly shifting his thoughts to wondering why it was being so peaceful.

          He glanced at Truvius' concerned squint. 

          "Truvius look, it's pur-" Suddenly, with a barking growl the dragon dug its claws into his shoulders, propelling itself over his head and onto his bed. Káel froze, his arms still acting like they were holding the dragon, and a dumbfounded expression on his face.

          "Truvius look, it's purring!" Phantom taunted, miming Káel's actions, and then acting as if his face was being torn off. After controlling his laughter Phantom pretended to pat him on the shoulder. "That dragon's got an unsophisticated slang. I'm surprised you even helped him."

          "You alright?" Truvius asked, after watching Káel stand silently beside his bed for awhile.

          He pulled his uniform out of his closet, and shot the dragon a warning glare. "I'm fine."

          After successfully making the black haired boy feed him, the dragon prepared for another elaborate plan to trick its new servants, but grouchily stopped when they walked out the door. 

          Oh well, they'll be back in a matter of minutes, the dragon thought, smirking at the amount of time they had given it to plot its mischievous plan.

          They didn't return.

          An hour had passed and the dragon grew impatient hiding in Káel's closet. It searched the room for clues as to why its toys had been gone for such an excruciating length of time, but found nothing.