Chapter Twenty-Two

I stare blankly at the road in front of me. I see the trees pass in a blur. The car is silent. Abby is sitting in the back. Daniel's eyes are nailed to the road. I take a deep breath and let it out. All I want to do is go home and crawl into bed. You can't hide from this. This is how things are. I know the small voice inside me is right. This is my life. I can't hide away like I did when my parents died. This involves more people than just me.

The car stops and I hear the back door open. "Bye, Abby, I'll talk to you soon." I hear Daniel say before the door is closed loudly. I bite my lip and watch as the redhead walks up to her house.

Daniel starts driving again. The only sound is the car on the road. I assume we are both giving each other the silent treatment, which is fine with me. I don't need to talk to him. And I certainly don't want him talking to me at the moment.

Daniel parks the car in his driveway, but we both stay seated. I don't want to say anything, but I want to yell at him. Instead, I just sit, staring at nothing. I want to look over at Daniel, but I don't.

"Just say something, I know you want to." Daniel snaps. I turn to face him, "What should I say?" I stab back. "Anything!" He yells, "Anything at all! It must be better than seeing you glaring at me in anger." I roll my eyes, "I have nothing to say to you." I unbuckle myself and get out of the car. I slam the door shut and start heading to the house.

I hear Daniel slam his door as well, "Get back here! Don't walk away, it's not how things work." He grabs my hand and turns me around to face him. I glare up at him, stepping closer to him, "You want me to say something?" He nods, waiting for me.

"That could have gone way better if you hadn't-" "If I hadn't what?" He challenges. "If you hadn't brought her along." He narrows his eyes at me and tightens his jaw, "You mean Abby, my girlfriend?" I nod, "Yes, her." I pull my hand free, "If she wasn't there you wouldn't have felt the need to explain the situation."

I hurry into the house. I slam the door and head to the kitchen. Taylor is where we left her, still sitting in the kitchen. "How'd it go?" She chimes happily.

"I had to explain the situation." I hear Daniel say behind me. "By making it sound like I sleep around? I am not a slut, you know. And it takes two." Daniel grumbles before hammering back, "That's not how I meant it and you know it." "Well, that's what it sounded like!" I yell.

"So, not that good then?" I hear Taylor comment. We both ignore her, Daniel's face is red with anger as he yells back, "You made it sound like I was trying to get you pregnant and then just leave you." I shake my head, "I didn't say that."

"You implied that I'd be a bad father." He says softly if he wasn't so close I am sure I wouldn't have heard it. My heart aches at his words. I reach up and cup his cheeks. "Daniel, I didn't mean to." He shuts his eyes for a moment before looking down at me again, "I know, but it hurt." "I am sorry. I think you'll make a wonderful father." He nods slightly, "I'm sorry too, for what I said. You are not just anyone. You are pretty special and the baby is fortunate to have you as a mother." I bite my lip and drop my hand, "Thank you."

"Intense." Taylor mumbles from the side. It looks like Daniel is only remembering she is here now. He steps away from me, looking her way, "Don't you have anything else to do?" She shrugs, "I usually just watch my soaps now, but you two are much more entertaining."

Daniel scoffs at his little sister. He looks at me again, "Do you think I can come by tonight to pick the nursery colours?" I nod and step away from him, "Sure, I don't have much else to do, I have a class at six, but that's it." He smiles, "Maybe I'll bring some dinner?" I nod, "Sounds good."

I excuse myself and head to my home. Even though we apologised I still feel horrible. Not just for the things he said, but the things I said. We were both in the wrong, but somewhere deep inside me, I felt there must be some truth to the words. From both sides.

I am scared to death that he might decide to leave. Not leave me, but our child. And I do believe there is some part of him that thinks I planned it all. But I didn't. I did love him. I do. But now I need him to be here for the baby. That is much more important than my feelings or his.

In the house, I take a moment to look at the picture of mom and dad. They would not be pleased with me, at all. But this is how things turned out. I do hope that I knew them well enough to believe they would have come around and accepted their grandchild.

Mother would someday be happy for the Greene-Moore child like she and Amanda have always dreamed of. Dad is another matter. He might have never come around. He would have insisted on marriage. Daniel and I would be forced to get married or my child would forever be an embarrassment to him.

After my class, I return home and find Daniel sitting on the porch swing. He smiles when he sees me, "Finally." I roll my eyes, "Have you been waiting long?" He shrugs, "I'll live." I unlock the door and let him in.

"Let's eat." I say, getting out two plates. Daniel smiles and puts down the pizza box he's been holding. "Are you sure it's fine for you to still be dancing? I mean, I know how important it is to you, but shouldn't you take a step back?"

I shake my head, "I am fine, Daniel." He holds up his hands in defence, "I was just asking." I stick out my tongue at him, "I was just saying."

When the pizza is finished we are seated on the couch, just enjoying the silence. It was different now than earlier today. Calmer and not filled with tension.

"Would you have married me?" I am surprised at myself for asking the question, but it's been bugging me since I thought of mom and dad. Daniel seems just as stunned at the question. I shake my head, redness spreading to my cheeks, "You don't need to answer."

"I suppose I would have if I hadn't met Abby." His answer makes my heart sore for a moment before it almost goes numb with pain. I get off the couch and stare at the photo of my parents. I wrap my arms around myself, trying not to cry.

"Linds," I hear him behind me then I feel his hands rub my arms, "are you alright? I-" I shake my head and pull away from him. "I am just tired." I wipe a stray tear away and turn to face him, "I think I just want to go to bed." Daniel looks sad, but nods, "Oh, alright. I guess I'll go then." I hug my arms tighter, "I'll see you tomorrow then?" I nod at his request.

He turns around at the door, "We didn't pick a colour." I bite my lip, "I think we can stick to the mint green and grey." He nods, "I'll get the paint." I nod and watch as he leaves.

It shouldn't hurt as much as it did. I mean, I gave him up. I walked out that morning. I didn't tell him how I felt. This is all on me.

But I can't allow my own feelings to come in the way. I need to focus on my baby. The baby needs Daniel more than I do.