Chapter 34: "The Detective"

You and Papyrus walked down the hallway, following Ms. Constable's instructions all the way until you got to a door with plaque that read "Detective Noah J. Smith". Right outside every few doors was a chair and right beside Mr. Smith's office's door was in fact, a chair just like the others.

You took a deep breath, placing a solid knock on the wooden door. As soon as you moved your hand from the door, a quick shuffling noise was heard and the sound of something falling onto the ground rang out. "Yes? Who is it?" You heard Mr. Smith's voice speak in a surprised tone. "Oh, it's (Y\N) (L\N) and Papyrus..." You replied and there were a few seconds of silence.

"He was there for the event, correct?" Mr. Smith asked which caused you to say "Yes, he was there near the end." in response. "Alright, then he must remain seated outside whilst your statements are being taken." Mr. Smith responded, his voice not having the same sound to it. "oh, that's bull-" Papyrus began before you gently nudged him. "It's okay, Papy. Just wish me luck, kay?" You told him and he sighed, nodding. "'alright, good luck, (y/n)." He sighed as he sat in the chair.

You slowly pushed open the door and walked in, closing the door behind you and you looked up to see him. Mr. Smith seemed startled, "My God, I didn't say you could come in-" He suddenly remarked, a strange feeling coming off his aura.

You looked down and saw his shirt was partially undone, a slightly toned chest was in view along with a pretty impressive bruise on his abdomen, likely from the gunshot. You were frightened as you backed yourself up against the door, but you soon realized that he seemed very distressed and was actually buttoning up his shirt. His hair's a mess and a lack of sleep is implied with the dark circles under the man's gray eyes.

"I apologize," He began, his voice cracking. "I was merely looking at my bruise and I was not expecting you to come in so swiftly." He spoke as he buttoned up his shirt, reaching around and taking his tie that was loosely hanging off his shoulder and tying it back around his neck.

You slowly walked over, swallowing nervously as you sat in the chair placed in front of the desk. "No, it's alright, Mr. Smith... That's a pretty nasty bruise, huh?" You replied and he leaned back in his chair. "Yes, it is, (Y\N)." He sighed, running a hand through his graying brown hair, clearly in a mix of emotions. "Noah, I can come back another day if you're not fit to take my statements today." You told him and he quickly shook his head, giving a weak smile. "No, no... I'll be just fine. We need to bring the bastard that did that shit to you down. Every hour that ticks by makes it harder and harder to find him." Mr. Smith commented.

You looked around on his desk, another plaque with his name on it was placed off to the side and a closed laptop was in front of him. Along with that, a notebook and a holder of pens were on the left corner and a mug that says "#1 Dad" sits next to him, partially filled with coffee. Hung on the walls of the office are various pictures, one's a painting by Vincent Van Gogh and the rest are pictures of what you assume to be family. In one photo, he and his son are sitting in a convertible in sunglasses and matching suits, smiling as they pose together, and in another, Mr. Smith looks much younger and he's with two people that you haven't seen before.

"I-I... Now... If you would like to start, do you know the criminal's name?" Mr. Smith asked you, tearing you attention away from the photos. "I only know his first name, it's Austin." You replied to him, wondering if he'll make it out of this without crying.