Twenty-Five || Right Here

|| Right Here

     "From what I can tell, you're just fine. What's not just fine is that it's 2 a.m. and none of us are sleeping." Nurse McCall absently held onto her well loved stethoscope, eyes drooping but persistent.

     Stiles sat on the edge of a neatly made hospital bed, Jacy not too far away as Melissa finished up the under-the-table check up. His fingers fumbled against one another, but he remained quiet.

     "If you feel any symptoms of a concussion, call me," Melissa told him. "Otherwise, everything's okay. Your lungs are good, which is what I was worried about the most because of the fire." She paused. "Did you get that put out, by the way?"

     "Yeah, it's all okay," replied Stiles. "Except for the Jeep. God knows if she's even drivable." He ran a hand through smoky hair, dots of blood still clinging to his face. "But the clinic's fine."

     Melissa nodded, heading toward the door. "Well, Jacy, clean him up before you leave, would you?"

     "Of course." Jacy stood from her chair across the room, wetting a paper towel as Melissa left the two alone.

     "I told you I was fine," Stiles said in a soft singsong, face contorting as the wet towel hit his skin.

     Jacy hummed a response, grinning ever so slightly as she wiped the blood spatter from his face.

     Brown eyes followed Jacy, focus slowly masking the happiness that had been present only moments before.

     "Do you want to talk about...about what happened earlier?" he timidly asked, watching Jacy.

     Jacy kept quiet, tilting Stiles' head to get the spatter on the side of his face, eyes anywhere but on him. "I wouldn't know where to start."

     "You knew. You knew I was in trouble."

     "I don't know how to explain it."

     Stiles lightly grabbed Jacy's hand, stopping her from going after the invisible specks on her face. "Did you...did you hear me? In the high school?"

     Jacy laughed uncomfortably, still unable to meet his gaze. "Which high school?"

     "It happened for you too?"

      The brunette sat on the bed next to him, brows furrowed as she crumpled the spent paper towel. "It was like it was that day all over again. Everything was the same until...until you asked what I was doing. Why I was letting it happen again."

     Stiles shook his head. "I don't know how. It was like I was watching from afar. Like I could see everything ten feet away and I couldn't get any closer to you."

     "Nothing's ever happened like that before. I've never dreamt like that."

     Stiles' brows furrowed. "You were asleep?"

     "I - sort of. I woke up on the ground in the hallway outside the locker room. I don't remember much, but I know it was the Doctors." Jacy continued to look at the linoleum, brows tight together. "I don't remember a lot lately, not clearly. I just...fade out for a while."

     Stiles absently intertwined his fingers with hers, it both a privilege and a force of habit. "Something's wrong, isn't it? Something's really wrong?"

     "Other than kids turning into creatures by immortal beings and having a case of the body snatchers?" asked Jacy. "Yeah, something's really wrong."

     "Talk to me." Stiles reached over, tilting her chin toward him. He wiped a tear from her cheek, eyes only on her. "What's going on with you?"