04 damsel

T R U M A N

T R U M A N

It was past midnight when we finally left the bar. Santana waved her hand through the air, blowing away the smoke from my cigarette. We were standing on the street, music still humming through the walls, and I was vaguely aware of Eden back inside.

Fine. I was extremely aware.

Last I saw, she was leaning against the makeshift stage, arms propped on the floor, flirting with the lead singer of the band. And by the look on the guy's face, he was into her.

Not that I could blame him.

I rolled my eyes and forced my mind off of Eden and whatever—or whoever—she was or wasn't doing.

"I thought you quit," Santana said. Her nose was scrunched up as she eyed the cigarette between my lips.

I exhaled, blowing the smoke in her face and chuckling as she slapped my arm.

"I did quit," I told her. She gave me that look that drove me insane. "Lasted about a month."

'Satan' was what Eden, and apparently Katie, had called my girlfriend back in high school. I smiled. How fitting.

"Can you take me home?" she asked, tugging her coat closer to her chest. "It's late."

"Don't wanna leave yet." Inhale. Exhale. I focused on the smoke filling my lungs, watching the way it moved through the air.

"What did Eden say to you?"

Here we go, I thought.

"Nothing," I lied.

"Truman," she hissed, grabbing my wrist. "You two haven't seen each other in months and you expect me to believe you, what, stood there staring at each other?"

I shrugged. "Your imagination's lacking, but sure. If you want."

Her nostrils flared. The red hair blowing around her head like a storm only made her look angrier.

I sighed, then said, "Look, baby, it was nothing." I pulled Santana to my chest and felt her begin to soften as her arms wrapped around me. "We didn't say much. She was angry."

Her chin tilted up, eyes blinking at me. "Okay," she said, kissing my jaw. "Let's go home."

My apartment had started to feel less like home as soon as she moved in.