Game

One Month Later

Sherlock pressed his fingers to his temples and exhaled. It had been a long, topsy turvy week and a half. Rosamund Mary Watson, nicknamed Rosie, had at long last arrived, albeit sudden and slightly turbulent, into the world and earlier that day she'd been christened. Mary and John had not been impressed with his behavior during the ceremony as he had suddenly experienced an influx of cases and was constantly on his mobile. Even during Rosie's blessing.

John had expressed his concern that he was being replaced, to which Sherlock explained that no one would ever take John's place as his partner and best friend. Assured, the doctor had been able to focus more on his baby daughter and his wife. And they didn't name her after me. He remarked and puffed another breath.

For the first time in a long while, Sherlock's inbox was empty and he wasn't receiving calls begging him to visit a scene or take on a case. But instead of feeling bored, he felt alone and depressed. Cases distracted him from it but he couldn't escape it now. The detective ruffled his hair and looked at the ashes in the fireplace. It's not like John's around to catch me.

He stared at the grey, sooty mound and after a minute got up. Sherlock closed the doors and then dug into the cinders. His old nemeses, yet oldest alternatives to boredom and stress, emerged and he carried them back to his chair. As he hastily prepped the first two hits, he almost didn't register that his phone buzzed with a notification.

But Sherlock did and grumbled before grabbing the mobile, intending to turn down whatever case it was that was being shoved his way. John wouldn't be able to help him so why bother when he could get a quick fix and escape. He unlocked his messages and stared. A. She had been quiet for the past couple of weeks- gone for business and a bit of a holiday in her words. He hadn't even thought she would contact him again. But there her text was in his inbox.

He pursed his lips and allowed the conversation to continue

This got Sherlock's attention

This got Sherlock's attention. He sat back in his chair and looked over her last two texts. His brain puzzled over how to respond if at all he would.

A felt similar to Molly before the Reichenbach Fall. But in a way, A was more intuitive and sensing if she had been able to deduce his emotional wellbeing from a photograph.

Sherlock inhaled and let it out. The drugs were forgotten on the side table as he contemplated that he and a had been in fairly regular correspondence for a few months. He'd deduced all that he could from what she revealed.

And now was be the perfect time to solve a puzzle. Sherlock almost smiled.

It took a few minutes but she eventually agreed and he jumped up to don his coat and scarf before heading out to meet the enigmatic A

It took a few minutes but she eventually agreed and he jumped up to don his coat and scarf before heading out to meet the enigmatic A. He smirked, "The Game is coming to a close, A."

Again, this book is going to move faster than my other series. Also- I'm writing semi-canon to allow for character development, etcetera.

Thank you for reading!