Chapter 46 - Imprints

A/N (5/7/18) - Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoy, and the comments give me life xD To the people who leave inline comments—you know who you are—I smile/laugh the whole way through. Thanks :)

---

So my plan is to get Axel alone. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen because I'm benched the entire period by Coach Kenet.

"I want you to think," she screams in my ears, jogging up and down the bleachers. "Think like you've never thought before, Jones!"

"What?" I ask.

"Don't sass me." She stares into my eyes. "The brain is a muscle. Drop and give me fifty mental push-ups right now!"

I crawl out of gym winded. "My mental biceps hurt," I groan.

"That's it, champ." Carson chuckles, massaging my shoulders from behind. "This is how legends are made."

I swat his hands away, trying not to laugh. "Easy for you to say. You didn't have to, 'pick up those neurons!'"

"She actually said that?" Krys looks at me incredulously.

I nod.

Bri smirks, elbowing Ethel. "Your mom's the best."

"...Yeah." Ethel looks to the side. "I'll see you guys later. I've gotta get to class."

"Okay." Everyone says bye, but he's already gone.

I raise an eyebrow. "What's wrong with him?" I ask Aiden.

No response. Not that I was expecting one. He hasn't said a word to me all day.

Well, alrighty then. Nevermind. I turn to Axel, ready to pull him aside and start persuading him about the Suzie thing. "Hey, Ax—"

"Axel," Krys says over me.

Um, rude.

She moves closer to him. "Didn't you have somewhere you needed to be?"

"I do?" Axel holds his chin, seriously considering it.

She nudges him towards the hall. Then she turns to Carson. "You too, Carson. Get back in that gym already. You've got a class waiting for you."

Carson furrows his brow. "But I need some water—"

She almost eats him alive. What's she doing? She winks at me, gesturing towards Aiden.

Oh, geez. "Krys—" I start.

"I've got you, Mia!" She points at the jacket I'm wearing.

I shake my head, but she's too busy dragging Bri away. "Make some power moves, girl."

But I don't get the chance to make power moves, because Aiden's already walking away. I follow him, reluctantly, to class. Don't get me wrong, I wanna be with him. But if he's ignoring me... What can I do?

He walks silently through the bustling halls, crowds parting ways for him. I convince myself that we can make it to class this way. That is, until I can't take it anymore. "Are we okay?" I ask.

He stops.

The hall clears. People pass in a blur. I stare at the back of his head, waiting for an answer.

"What?" he asks.

"Are we okay?" I repeat.

He sighs. "Yes." Then he keeps walking.

I follow. "Are we fighting or something? Because I really don't know."

"Not unless you're trying to," he says.