05 | Peace Offering

"Excuse me?" Rosaline's hand flew to her collarbone, eyes wide as she sat on the ground, surprised.

Jovan went straight to the point. "Are you well? You look pale."

He hadn't initiated any conversation before this because the woman tried her best to stay away from him, as far as she could. At first, he thought that he made her uncomfortable, but it wasn't that. It was entirely his being a dracian and especially, his title.

     He didn't really care of what she thought of him. He had blood on his hands for a reason and he couldn't exactly wash it clean. So he stayed silent. And observant.

He'd noticed her wasting away day after day, turning paler and weaker. She barely spoke to anyone but Heldi, mostly kept to herself, and she'd started to zone out quite often these days. He wondered if it was the exhaustion of their journey or some ailment she was hiding. He knew she'd keep it to herself and it was one of the many reasons he didn't trust her.

At first, he'd blamed her condition on the prison. The way her wrists and arms were bruised, and the way she cowered away and flinched at times, especially from people physically bigger than her. She thought she was hiding it well, and for the most part, she was keeping herself quite reserved. But barely anything escaped his eyes these days.

At times, he'd feel her staring at him, but he chose not to acknowledge it. He had much to do, and the forests had turned a rather dangerous place now that no one guarded them.

"I... I am faring well, General," she replied, her voice low. "Thank you for asking."

He straightened, nodding. He considered leaving. After all, he had much to report to his High King, and make sure each soldier received his due fee and reward now that they had returned to their homeland.

Just as he was about to walk away, Rosaline stopped him. "General?"

He looked over his shoulder, brows raised in question.

"Do you mind if I ask you a question?" Her golden eyes, though tired and painted with shadows, were burning with curiosity.

"What is it?" He asked simply.

"What did you mean when you said you could make my... power more stable?" Her hoarse voice was low, barely more than a whisper.

He hadn't expected her to ask this. He'd thought she'd ask when they'd reach or what would she get in exchange of her work, but not this. Something was definitely wrong.

She was surely weak and perhaps that was the reason she'd been unsure of her power, but the concern in her voice, the subtle fear that he could sense radiating off her body, made him think otherwise. Maybe her health was indeed affecting her ability.

He cleared his throat, crossing his arms across his chest. "We have another foreteller. I'm sure he'll be able to help you find a remedy to your power. Even he suffers from a momentary lapse from time to time."

"Is that why you need someone like me?" She questioned. "I keep thinking about it. I'm sure your foreteller is powerful, and I'm no match for him or what he does, even in his lapsed condition. Then, why me?"

Jovan stared at her. Despite the dullness that surrounded her being, she was willing to know. So he told her. "We need someone new. Not as a replacement but for assistance."

Rosaline's eyes were filled with something but she looked away too quickly for him to decipher.

Then she said, gulping, "What if I'm not able to. . . assist?"