Prologue

A/N: More will come soon, be prepared! I hope you like this one guys.

~ ~ ~

Six Months on...

Beacon Hills had become a somewhat lonely town. The number who remained was far outnumbered by those who had left.

For one reason or another they had separated, gone off on their own to new friends and new pastures. It was time, school was finished and graduation was long over. This was when their lives started after all.

The only two left in the same place were Erica and Derek, though that sounds far more ominous than it really is. The two may have had their – substantial – differences, but somehow being the only two members of the pack unchanged in Beacon Hills they had put that aside. They had grown closer in the absence of the others and the feeling of having something missing that swam around deep inside them was dulled when they spent their time together.

Every few weeks Derek would travel to Berkeley to be with Stiles, too long without him made Derek impossible to get on with. Sometimes he would take Erica with him because he almost felt bad at leaving her alone and he knew that she and Stiles were close friends but even she knew that Derek and Stiles needed their time alone.

Stiles loved his time at college, and sometimes it was almost enough to keep his mind off that terrible ache in his gut whenever he thought about Derek or his father or Scott and Isaac. He hated to admit it but he was even beginning to miss Jackson of all people. His course was wonderful and his roommate was interesting to say the least but it's true that home is where the heart is.

Scott and Isaac found a community college in Beacon County where they could come back whenever they felt homesick and otherwise lived in a small two bedroom flat that they bought with the money Isaac had been left from the sale of his father's house. Seeing as neither of them really knew what they wanted to do, community college was the best option, and the cheapest considering.

The two had been through hell the year before, and while they'd made their way through it all relatively unscathed. A few things still remained sore points for them, but the strength of their affections for one another made it easy to bounce back into a state of blissfully happy couple, especially take the step to move in to a place together.

At first Stiles had thought their lovey-dovey Instagram snaps had been a nice reminder of home and of his friends, but after a while he got sick of seeing their faces and the pictures of their shared home and the fact that they were actually living with one another.

They were the two who stayed closest to home; Jackson had by far gone the furthest. He and Danny had fulfilled a childhood plan of travelling and had gone to London together. That was their first stop, but there were many more after and still more to come. Danny and Ethan still kept in touch, even though he and Aiden had gone back to their home town. Beacon Hills held too many bad memories in such a small space.

Jackson and Lydia hadn't quite done the same. They agreed that it was time for them to be apart – whether they end up together again or not – so neither of them had called or even sent a simple text. For all intents and purposes... it was over.

Lydia had done exactly what she had said, Harvard accepted her almost as soon as they received her application. Someone as naturally clever as her was bound to be worthy of their training. It helped that she was close to New York and could use retail therapy to stop herself from talking to Jackson. She used Stiles a lot when she didn't want anyone to know that she still sometimes cried about it, and Stiles never said a word to anyone.

Allison had gone just as far as Jackson, travelling with her father to Paris to seek out some of their family history. Both of them had needed to get away for a while, they only had each other and reconnecting as a father and daughter on the trip of a lifetime was the perfect way to escape Beacon Hills and the painful memories that lived there, if only for a short period of time.

Boyd never gave up on the idea that Daisy was still out there somewhere, he had taken time out to look for her before he did anything else. Erica had tried to convince him to stay but it was something he felt he needed to do. So he followed her wispy trail of smoke from Beacon Hills, and was currently on his way to Portland.

While most of them were gone, Beacon Hills was still the point of return, the place where their hearts really did lie. Though none of them expected to be back any time soon, there was something in the air that would hit them all between the eyes, like a bullet, like a freight train, like a bucket of ice water thrown in their faces to wake them from the thin veil of what reality could have been like had their lives been even slightly normal. It was something that would call them all home, like a beacon, and the strange occurrences were just the start of what was to come.

~ ~ ~

A/N: Add this to your library and I'll update as soon as I can, thanks so much for being here to read this guys! Hope you're looking forward to Reckless Encounters.