Chapter 7

Adeline was enveloped in Bucky's arms. The sun hadn't risen yet, but she knew it was only hours time until Bucky's departure. She had a restless sleep despite Bucky's comforting presence. She breathed in his scent which clamed her, but it didn't keep her mind from reeling. She couldn't help but see those beautiful blue eyes lifeless and dull in a hospital bed or in a battle field only identified by a number around his neck and a gun in his hand. To Adeline, he was much more than a set of numbers and she couldn't stand to see him lying stiff. He was warm and his bare chest steadily and slowly rose and fell. His arms tightened around Adeline, pulling her closer to his chest.

"You don't have to pretend to be asleep," Bucky mumbled into her hair.

"How did you know I was awake?" Adeline asked into his chest, keeping her eyes closed.

"I can just about hear your thinking," Bucky responded.

"You can't blame me for being worried, Buck," Adeline said, not shifting their position.

"No, of course not, doll, but you're worrying enough for me, Steve and yourself," Bucky said.

"You just have to promise to come back alive," Adeline said, pulling back, looking into his blue eyes. There was a moment's hesitation and a slight glimmer of fear across his face.

"I promise," he said softly, "as long as you do the same."

"I promise," Adeline said. They both knew all too well how empty those promises were but it provided comfort as he pulled Adeline in for a kiss.

~*~

It was a perfect day outside. The sun was out and the birds had started coming back for summer. "Don't cry, doll<" Bucky said after he had already said his goodbyes to his family and Steve. He wiped away a tear from Adeline's cheek, kissing her forehead.

"I'll be back before you know it." He pulled Adeline in for one last embrace as she nodded her head against his chest.

"And when I get back, we'll get married, alright?" Bucky asked, holding her by the shoulders, a small smile on his face. "Okay?" Adeline didn't respond, tears falling down faster.

"Come on, Adi, don't make me leave you like this," Bucky pleaded.

"Okay," Adeline's voice cracked.

"You be careful, alright? I'll see you over there," Bucky said. Adeline nodded again, Bucky wiping tears away with his thumbs.

"I'll see you over there," Adeline agreed. The train whistle blew, signaling its too soon departure. Adeline looked from the train to Bucky, shaking her head, trying to keep her breathing under control.

"Hey, hey, hey," Bucky tried to calm her. "Shh, come on, Adi." She pulled him in for a desperate kiss, fearing that it would be her last.

"I'll see you later, sarge," Adeline breathed shakily, making Bucky smile. Adeline let out a quiet sob as the train began moving, taking her love with it.

"Adeline, come on, it's time to go home," Steve said, placing his hand in hers. She nodded her head, allowing Steve to pull her away from the platform.

|Saturday, April 25, 1942|

Adeline's departure from New York was just as bitter as Bucky's. She tried to console her family as well as Steve who seemed to be handling the situation better than she expected. The skies were grey to match the buildings of London. She was to report to London's M.O.R. headquarters at noon for her first assignment. She took a deep breath, walking into the large building. As soon as she walked into the bustling building, she felt as though she belonged. She walked quickly to the briefing room where she was greeted by only a man in a uniform.