Chapter 40

"Where is my son?" Minerva burst into Dumbledore's office.

"He just left." The headmaster didn't look up from the large book he was perusing.

"I swear, Albus..." Minerva rubbed her hand over her face. "This is your fault, I hope you know that."

"I most assuredly do, Minerva."

She rolled her eyes at him and swept out of the office. 

There were only a few places Harry could be. Since it was closest, Minerva decided to check her office first. She strode quickly through the hallways, which were quite empty. Most students were in class, and the few she saw moved out of her way quickly.

She realized later that she must have looked furious, which would certainly generate that kind of response.

Harry wasn't in her office. Minerva sighed and closed the door, turning and heading for Gryffindor tower.

"Password, please." The Fat Lady trilled.

"Weasley's Wizard Wheezes." Minerva responded tersely.

"Thank you kindly, Professor." The portrait swung open.

Minerva ducked her head and walked into the common room. 

"Professor!" Hermione hopped up from her seat. "Have you seen Harry?"

"So he's not in here?"

"No." She shook her head worriedly, wild hair flying. "I haven't seen him since Dumbledore grabbed him at the Ministry."

Minerva sighed. She knew exactly where Harry was.

"I'll find him, Miss Granger. Don't worry."

"Professor, I can't help but worry about my friend."

She nodded slowly. "And I cannot fault you for that, Miss Granger. I promise I'll find him."

"Can we come with?" Ron Weasley got up from one of the other couches.

"How about I find him, then send you two a patronus telling you where he is." She told them. Who knew what Harry's mental state was at the moment.

They looked at each other, seeming a bit upset, but finally Hermione nodded. "Alright, Professor."

Minerva gave her a small smile, before walking back out of the portrait.

She made her way up to the Astronomy Tower. Something told her that Sirius might have mentioned that to Harry at some point.

Sure enough, he was sitting on the roof. She could see his feet dangling over the edge.

"Harry?" She called softly.

The feet disappeared, then Harry climbed back into the tower. "Mimmy...."

Minerva frowned sadly at her son. Tears were streaked across his face. "Do you want a hug?" She asked gently.

He shook his head and looked out the window he had just crawled in through. "That stupid house elf did this."

"What do you mean?" Minerva walked over to him, stopping just far enough that he could reach for her if he wanted to, but she knew he needed his space.

"I tried to get ahold of Sirius... I used the fireplace. Kreacher answered, he told me he'd gone- I didn't know any better, if I knew he was safe I would- I wouldn't- I-" Harry punched the wall next to the window. Bones cracked and Minerva sighed.

"I know, Harry. But you can't blame yourself. You-Know-Who is more-"

"Voldemort." Harry interrupted her sharply. "Fear of a name only increases fear of the thing itself."

Minerva had to smile. She remembered hearing that from another student, several years before.

"Voldemort is more powerful than any of us truly know, Harry, and he would have gotten what he wanted some way or another. Lets get you down to the infirmary, so Poppy can fix your hand."

"I want her to do it the muggle way."

She raised an eyebrow, but nodded. "Very well. We'll talk to her about it."

Harry held his injured hand close to his chest. "Dumbledore knew. He always knows and he never tells me what I need to know. I'm always flying blind, I hardly know how to duel properly, and everyone seems to think I know everything, that I've got all the tools I need, and I'm always missing pieces of the puzzle I need to finish."

Minerva gently put an arm around him, cursing Albus Dumbledore silently. Her son was being raised like a pig for the slaughter. And he knew it, in some way, but he hadn't put all the pieces together. She prayed he wouldn't until it was time for it to happen.

"Miss Granger and Mr. Weasley are very worried about you." She told Harry quietly as the two of them walked towards the infirmary.

Harry smiled weakly. "They're my best friends."

"I know. I'll send for them once we've got you will Poppy." Minerva told him quietly.

He nodded.

Remus Lupin was in the infirmary, with a couple other members of the Order. When he saw Harry he rushed over. "What happened?"

"I punched a brick wall." Harry gave him a crooked smile.

Remus laughed a bit incredulously. "And how far did that get you?"

"From the Astronomy Tower to here." Harry quipped.

Madam Pomfrey pushed her way through, wand already out, but Harry pulled away from her. "I want it done the muggle way."

"O-oh. Well, Mr. Potter, I'm not sure-"

"I can do it." Remus offered. "We did it a couple times in the Shrieking Shack."

Minerva nodded to Madam Pomfrey and she sighed before allowing the former Defense professor to get to work.

[A/N Harry is upsetti-spaghetti]