Chapter 1

Violet's POV 

You never expect anything bad to happen in small towns. They're usually just filled with families, and friends, who love each other. Rolling Meadows was a town where everyone knew everyone, but it had its fair share of traumatic events. This town happened to be run by two rival gangs: The Spades and The Cobras. They ran not only this town but most neighboring towns in the county. My roommate, Rosalie, and I had moved here about a year ago after graduating from college. The town took us in easily because I was a writer for the RM Times, so I got to report on many things, ranging from new diners opening to increasing gang violence. Rosalie, on the other hand, had a more interesting job. Unknown to everyone but myself, she worked for the CIA. Her latest mission was to get information on the gangs because our government was trying to shut them down. The Spades and The Cobras often killed innocent people for various reasons and they both needed to be stopped. We lived in fear every time we left our house that we would end up in the wrong place at the wrong time, and come face to face with these horrible men.

Rosalie and I lived in an apartment on the nicer side of town, trying to avoid the violence where we could. My company was very lenient with me working from home, as long as I got my articles and reports in on time. Rose went to the CIA HQ near Rolling Meadows when she needed to report something. She was a field agent so she had to avoid being spotted there as much as possible because she might blow her cover. We were just two girls, trying to do our jobs, in this small town until New Year's Eve at the masquerade party when our lives changed forever.

I rolled around in my bed as I felt my body being shaken by my shoulders. "Vi, let's go. We gotta get to get ready." I heard Rose's voice in my ear as I woke up.

"I'm so tired. I was up all night writing. I need to finish my nap before we go or I won't even be awake to see the ball drop" I complained, pulling the comforter up over my head.

"We need to get to the party before the ball drops. Now get up! We have to get ready!" She yanked the blanket off of me and I groaned and swung my feet over the bed.

"Fine. I'm up." I dragged myself to my vanity to straighten my hair. We were going to a masquerade party tonight to celebrate New Year's Eve.

I fixed my hair and put on my usual makeup and Rosalie came back into my bedroom with her hair curled and wearing a light pink floor length dress with a deep V-neck and a slit up her right leg. She held her white and pink feathery mask in her hand.

"Are you ready yet?" She asked as she adjusted her hair looking in my mirror.

"Almost. I don't know what to wear. I don't usually go to these things" I replied.

"You don't even have your outfit picked out yet?!"

"I'm sorry I have been busy writing articles? Go find me something. Here is my mask. Just find something that goes with it."

"Violet. This is the biggest party of the year. You can't just throw on any old dress! This is going to be bigger than my 21st birthday party."

"I don't see what the big deal is. You won't even be able to see my face. I'm sure I have something. Remember that dress I wore to Katelyn's wedding? Grab that" I suggested.

She walked to my closet and rummaged through the hangers. "No that won't do. It's too short. This party is classy."

I finished pinning my hair up and shrugged. "I don't know what to tell yo-"

"Wait what is this? When did you get this?" She asked holding up the long black dress that I kept in the back of my closet. It was sleeveless and had silver designs on the hips and a slit going up the left leg.