Chapter 7

1 week later

Caitlyn's POV:

When Luke said that we wouldn't be friends because of tutoring, he really meant it. For the first couple of days, he acted just as usual, but then the next couple of days he stopped a bit.

I was thankful it was a Friday afternoon, only one more lesson left until it was the weekend.

I quickly walked to my history class, the hallways were getting busier and I didn't want to get caught up in a load of people. When I got to my history class, I pulled open the door and Ashton was already sitting in his seat, the only person in the classroom. He looked up as I walked in a smiled at me.

"Hey." he said, still smiling.

"Hi, loner." I joked, taking my seat next to him.

"Shut up, you're always first into lessons!" he fought back.

"Yeah well, not today." I played back.

"You're so mean, I'm not a loner!" he said.

"Aw Ashton, it's okay to admit it!" I said.

"When are you going to admit it then, huh?" he replied.

I knew he was joking, but it hurt me when he said it. He knows I stay alone at school, and the only person I talk to is him. Even though I knew he was joking, and tried to smile at him, I couldn't help but feel really annoyed.

"Oh crap no I didn't-" he started to say, probably realising that it had upset me.

"It's fine Ashton. Really." I told him, my voice a little unconvincing, but still.

"It's not Caitlyn, I'm really sorry." he said. His hand found it's way to mine, and he grabbed onto it and squeezed it.

We just sat there in silence, his hand still in mine, which was surprising me. My hands started getting sweaty where the fact that Ashton was holding my hand had hit me.

"Ew Caitlyn!" Ashton said, laughing, as he took his hand from mine and wiped it on his trousers.

"Sorry." I giggled, my face probably a light shade of pink.

"It's no surprise to me, I do make a lot of girls all nervy." Ashton teased.

"Oh yeah?" I asked him.

"Yeah, I do." he said, a small smile on his lips.

"When would any girl get nervous around you?" I said, screwing my nose up jokingly.

"On dates." he said.

The door opening interrupted our conversation. People walked in and sat on their table next to ours, starting their own conversations.

"I bet you would get nervous on a date with me." Ashton carried on.

My stomach got butterflies, and I turned my attention from the table next to us back to Ashton.

"Probably not." I lied.

Our teacher walked in, and I quickly turned my almost certainly bright red face towards him, hoping Ashton wouldn't see. About ten minutes into the lesson, I could see Ashton looking at me from the corner of his eyes.

"Is that a yes to the date then?" he asked me, his voice quiet.

I giggled slightly and nodded my head, carrying on with my writing. As much as I tried for the rest of that lesson, I couldn't seem to stop smiling.

_________________________________________

"Text you later about tomorrow, bye Caitlyn." Ashton said, pulling me in for a hug, which I returned.

"Bye Ashton." I said as he was walking away.

I sighed and made my way up to the library to meet Luke for tutoring. As excited as I was for tomorrow, I was completely nervous. What if I'm too underdressed, or too overdressed? How will I know what to wear, and do I even have anything to wear for it? Probably not.

I pulled the library door open and walked inside. Luke was already here. He was wearing black tight jeans with a hole in one knee, a white t-shirt and a red flannel shirt over it. He turned his head towards me and watched me walk over to the table.

"Hi." I said, digging through my bags for maths book. When I didn't find any books, I started panicking. "Crap, I forgot the books, they're at my house." I told him.

"Why don't we go to yours then?" he asked me. He smirked when I started squirming.

"Okay, sure." I finally said.

"Lets go then." he said, standing. It surprised me a bit when he picked up the books I took out of my bag when I was looking and held them for me while I repacked my bag.

"Erm, thanks?" I said, it coming out more like a question.

"What, I can't be nice?" Luke asked me, openening the library door for me to prove a point.

"No, not to me. This is weird, no." I repeated. Honestly, it put me slightly on edge, the fact that he was being so nice to me.

"Thats not true. I'm not always horrible to you, or anyone." he said, frowning slightly. Is he being serious? He's frowning at the fact that I'm saying he's never nice to me? He's saying he's not always horrible to me? Instead of arguing with him, I bit my tongue and stayed quiet, as did he.

"We have to get the bus, sorry." I mumbled.

"Okay." he said, digging through his pockets and pulling out his phone.

We sat down on the bench at the bus stop, at each end, so there was quite a  far away ditance from eachother.

"So.." Luke said.

I just mumbled an 'mm hmm' not really knowing what to say.

"You know Caitlyn, you're not the easiest person to have a conversation with." Luke said, looking at me.

"Yeah well I only have proper conversations with my friends." I replied. I didn't even realise the way it sounded, and I was just waiting for Luke to get really angry at me, but instead he laughed.

"Fair enough." he replied.

"Yeah." I mumbled.

The bus pulled into the bus stop, and I pulled out my ticket. With Luke behind me, I showed the bus driver my ticket and walked to the back of the bus to sit down while Luke bought his ticket. He sat next to me, putting his bag on the floor by his feet. I kept mine between us, half because I like my bag within reach and the other half to make some space between us both.

Apparently, Luke didn't like my bag on the seat, and he picked it up and put it on the floor. I leaned over and picked it back up, and he pushed it back to the floor.

"Luke, stop it!" I sighed, picking it up and putting it on my lap instead.

"You're hard to talk to, the only way of you responding to me was to push your bag on the floor. And it was taking up the space." he said.

"Why not try a real conversation then?" I asked him, ignoring the space part.

"Okay." he said.

"Okay, so how about, what are your plans for the weekend?" I asked him, shrugging my shoulders because I couldn't think of anything else to say.

"Nothing. Probably meeting Calum and Michael." Luke replied.

"How did I guess." I said back, pressing the button for the bus to stop at the next stop.

"You didn't, you sat there." Luke said. He picked his bag up and put it over his shoulders, and just as I was about to pick up my bag and put it on, Luke had pushed it onto the floor.

"You're so annoying." I told him as I picked it back up, but I couldn't help the small laugh that fell from my lips.