Quidditch

James climbed the stands at the quidditch pitch with the others on a blusterty afternoon toward the middle of May.

There was a general buzz of excitement because the results of the game would not only determine the winner of the House Cup but also who was in last place in the running. By that, it was meant that the Cup was currently going to go to Slytherin unless Ravenclaw lost to Gryffindor - it would to Ravenclaw if they won. If Ravenclaw won, too, it would solidify Gryffindor's place in fourth for the cup, making the Puffs third. There was an anxious knot of Huffepuffs in the front of their section, waving Ravenclaw banners, and even Wendy waved apologetically to Peter from her place next to Maryrose, who waved a Gryffindor flag.

"You know its funny," James commented as he sat down a couple rows behind the Puffs, nodding a hello to Maryrose, "Slytherin must be torn to bits about now. In order for them to win, they've got to be cheering on Gryffindor if they want to win the cup."

Sirius snickered and dropped into the seat beside James. "Bastards don't look pleased about it." He pointed down the pitch to where the Slytherins sat, looking rather annoyed and gloomy. Regulus Black was among them, though sitting a couple spots apart from the others in his year, staring down at his knees, which jiggled nervously as he sat there. Sirius pushed the sight of his brother out of his mind, and continued on, "Bloody hilarious."

"Extra hilarious is - aren't we for Ravenclaw winning the cup?" Remus asked, glancing about at the other three, "Over Slytherin, I mean?"

"Of course!" Peter piped up.

"Well then technically we are against Gryffindor winning today then, aren't we?"

"No," James said firmly. "Frank needs a win. It's his last game."

"Besides - loyalty and all that ruddy shit?" Sirius supported.

"Then technically we're rooting for Slytherin overall," Remus injected.

They all sat, feeling rather torn at the crux that Remus had created. James rubbed his forehead, "It's too bloody complicated to hate all the right things right now."

Even as he spoke, the teams spilled onto the team and Peter stood up, clapping enthusiastically, "GO FRANK!" he shouted, and Frank looked up and waved at the sound of his name before adjusting the Captain badge on his chest.

James instinctively touched his own chest, where it would've been hanging if he'd kept it.

"Did I miss anything?"

They turned about to find Marlene Mackinnon coming their way over the benches. Sirius looked as surprised as Remus sounded when he said, "Uh... Nope, they're only just coming out."

Marlene nudged a space between James and Sirius, and sat down, the four Marauders looking at her in confusion. "Shouldn't you be going to sit with your friends?" Sirius asked bluntly.

"I was," Marlene replied. "Except Lily and Ali are both playing and —-"

James sat bolt upright. "Evans is playing today?"

"Well - yes," Marlene seemed confused. "They're sort of short a player, aren't they, with you having quit?"

James hadn't really thought about it. But now he felt himself scooting forward in his seat to spot Lily Evans on the pitch below and Sirius elbowed Remus and smirked over at James's renewed attentiveness.

Marlene reached into her cloak, "I know I'm in the wrong cheering section for this —" she waved a little blue and bronze flag, "But you lot understand."

"We were actually torn ourselves," Peter answered honestly.

Marlene laughed and said, "Well, there's no doubt who Potter's rooting for."