Chapter 28

"Get me the girls!" I said, pushing away a pair of hands coming my way.

"Ma'am, we need to stop the blood-" one of the men that rushed into the parking lot right after the light were turned on spoke in a hurry.

"Where's Ethan?" I asked him. "Call him right now! Tell him that the girls-"

"What girls, ma'am?" The man asked. "We haven't seen any-"

I stroke my hand right across his face. His face was filled with bewilderment as he clutched the side of his cheek.

"I'm not fucking hallucinating! Go check your security cameras and you will find two girls with me. Hoe the fuck does this mall work? Do you honestly not notice when a kidnapper comes in and takes away kids? What-"
I cut myself off when I found someone coming my way. In an instant, Stella was before me.

"Where are my girls?" Stella asked, looking around. "Where are they? Are they in the car?"

"Stella, you need to listen to me. The girls.. The girls aren't here." I said in a low voice.

"What do you mean they're not here?" She asked, matching the frown with Ethan and Ben behind her. "They came with you-"

"They're gone." I said in a choked voice. "He.. He took them."

"Who?" Ben asked. "Skylar, what the hell are you talking about?"

"The.. There was an intruder at our place last night." I said. "He tried to.. hurt me. And I think it's him now too. He took the girls."

Stella fell back into Ben's arms as soon as the words left my mouth. Tears flowed past her cheeks as she looked at me agonisingly.

"Why the hell didn't you tell us about this?" Stella demanded. "Why would you risk going out in a situation like this?"

"Baby, you need to ca-" Ben tried to comfort her but she pushed his hands away.

"No, I can't!" She yelled. "He took my girls! They're.. Mila and Evie.. they're so young. How are they.. what if he hurts them? What if they-"

"Stella, we'll find him before anything happens." Ethan assured her. "I won't let anything happen to them."

"There's nothing left to happen." Stella said. "It's all over. My girls are kidnapped and all thanks to your wife!"

"Stella, there is absolutely no point is blaming anyone! What we should be doing is start looking for them." Ben suggested.

Ethan looked at me helplessly. He couldn't meet my eyes. The conversation we had today morning played before me.

I suggested it's better if I had security with me because we never know what happens. But Ethan dismissed it in an instant saying how that would draw unnecessary attention to us.

All this could've been prevented if he believed that I was imagining things all the while.

Stella didn't deserve this. Not even Ben or the girls. They had no part in this. This was my issue, my problem to deal with. They are not supposed to get involved in this!

"Ma'am, I'm sorry to interrupt but I never saw any girls with Miss Skylar." The same person I slapped earlier spoke.

I widened my eyes at him. "Do you want me to fucking slap you again?!"

"Skylar, relax." Ethan said. "We'll find a way out of this. There's always a way. If the intruder came for money, he wouldn't have followed us this long. There's some ulterior motive all together. If that is so, he will try to contact us. Let us wait. But before that, we need to get you to the hospital."