#20 Droid Art

You were sitting in the corner of the hangar with your sketchbook and some pencils. You had the day off, and were spending it the only way you really knew how, drawing. You were a pretty shy person. You liked being alone. At least that is what you normally told yourself to justify hiding in your room. But when you were younger you had problems with a large group of kids, and now you don't really enjoy placing yourself into similar situations. You would much rather be invisible.

So you were drawing, and you would be drawing in your room, only you ran out of things to draw. You had an imagination to be sure but that only took you so far. So you hid in a corner and drew there.

For a while you just sat and scanned the large room before you spotted a feisty orange and white astromech droid beeping wildly and rolling around a man in an orange flight suit. You smiled at how the metal droid seemed to be able to convey it's feelings through facial expression even though it was made of metal and you decided that you might as well try to draw the droid making one of its 'faces'.

You sat there for a while watching the droid before starting your drawing. You drew the droid, and it was really really good! (If you don't say so yourself) but there was something missing in its expression.

You had tried to capture its expression of laughed. The way it would whirr around in a circle and sound like it was chortleing.

You looked back up at the droid and then realized, the droids expression only ever mirrored the expression of the man it was with.

If the pilot was happy, the droid looked happy. If the man looked confused so did the droid. You studied the man for a while, trying to see his features from the distance and began to add him to the sketch, looking up periodically to make sure you were still on track.

You were almost done when the droid caught you watching. You smiled at it and waved and then went back to your drawing. Droids didn't scare you, but interacting with real people did.

You had just flipped you notebook shut, satisfied with your work, when your eyes met the pilot's. He was standing much closer now, and your first thought was that you hadn't gotten his nose quite right in the picture, but the you realized he was looking at you and he was only 4 feet away.

"My droid said you were staring." He smirked, a little flirty, placing his oil covered hands on his hips. You e mouth opened to defend yourself, but no sound came out. Your mouth snapped shut.

Poe chuckled, bending forward at the waist and whispered in a conspiratorial tone, "Don't worry, I usually have that effect on people."

And then he winked.

And then you blushed.

And then your mouth caught up with your brain.

"You looked like a normal person from a distance, but apparently up close your really just a cocky pilot." You stood briskly and tried to make a beeline for the door. But after a moment the pilot grabbed your arm, stopping you gently.

"Wait!" You turned slowly, trying not to look him in the eyes. "I'm sorry, I- I really don't have an excuse... but people normally laugh when I say that..." He tried to joke again. At the flat look on your face, he back tracked again.

"No, I really am sorry, I didn't mean to upset you... I just, it's how my friends and I always talk. We all know were not really serious. I'm not actually self obsessed you know." He finished trying to convince you, and then dropping his hand from your arm awkwardly.

The droid beeped from next to the pilot, and you smirked, "Oh really? The droid says you are." You smiled at the look of betrayal that came over the pilot's face when he looked down at the droid, and the responding droidish impersonation of a shrug.

Droids were easy for you to trust. They were almost always programmed to tell the truth. So if this droid liked this pilot then you could probably like the pilot too.

The pilot met your eyes, smiled again, and shrugged. "Well, he's probably not wrong."

You grinned when you realized you were holding a conversation with a human being and not internally freaking out. "Its okay." You said, waving your notebook dismissivly, "I think I changed my mind. You don't seem half as bad as I thought you were."

The pilot laughed. "Apology accepted. My name's Poe... Dameron." He mock bowed with a grin, then straightened and ran a greasy hand through his hair. You had to laugh out loud at the streaks that became plastered together.

"Nice to meet you Poe." You said through your giggles, he stuck out a hand for you to shake, but you shook your head and snickered at him, nodding to his hand. "Not gonna happen flyboy." You said.

He looked at his hands and grinned, "Oh okay, I see how it is. Make fun of the pilot!"

You nodded again, "Yep. It's pretty easy to accomplish."

He wiped his hands on his flight suit and looked curiously at your notebook, "Whatcha got there?" he asked, genuinely interested

You shrugged, and opened the paper book to some drawings you had done several days ago. "Just some sketches." You explained, "I like to draw in my free time."

He took a step closer and looked down at the pictures of different ships. "Wow! This is really good! I like the X-wing the best. Do you do people too?" He asked and then he reached out and flipped the page with a dirty hand. It left a smudge in the bottom corner.

You protested the movement for several reasons. For one, paper doesn't wash and now the pages would stick together. And secondly the page he had flipped to was the one with a picture of him and his droid laughing.

"No! Don-t-" You tried to pull away but he saw it.

"Never mind," he smirked, "Apparently you do."

You blushed and tried to walk away, "Okay, see you later!"

He caught your free hand, and grinned a bit sheepishly, rubbing the back of his neck, "I'm uh, going to the canteen later. I was wondering if, maybe, you would like to come with me?... I'm buying."

You blushed again, "You mean like a date?"

THE END

A/N

A reader requested an update and who am I to say no?

The lady asks for an update, and an update she shall have!

BYE​​​