~Fifty-Five~

A/N: Hi hi :D A new chapter is out at last!! Xx

Out of all the words I'd expected to hear Harry say at that moment, the question he'd just asked was certainly not one of them. And that's why, as soon as he spoke, all I could do was stare back at him with wide eyes and a slightly agape mouth.

Did I...hear that right..?

Did Harry seriously just ask me if I'd let him..?

"W...What..?" My voice was weak, "Harry...you...y-you want to...adopt Piper..?"

"I do, Leah," Harry nodded without hesitation, "I really do."

"But...b-but..." I stammered, "Harry, that's...d-do you even know how much more responsibility comes with that..?"

Of course, Leah," Harry told me, "but I've been thinking about it for a long time, and I feel...ready for that. I'm ready to accept that responsibility," he reached for my hands and gave them a squeeze, "babe, for the rest of your life, no matter what happens...you'll get to look after Piper, and you'll get to watch her grow up – because you're her mother. But that's also what I want, Leah – because I just love her so much."

"Oh, Harry...I know. I know how much you love her," I bit my lip, "but still...adoption is so...final. Once you go through with it, there's no going back. She'll be yours, and she'll be yours forever."

"I know that," Harry told me with a smile, "and I love the thought of that, because I want her to be mine, love."

I sighed. "Even with that said, Harry...isn't it in the law that an adult who wants to adopt a stepchild, has to be living with the child and their other parent for at least two years or something before it can happen..?"

"Two years?" Harry's smile grew, "Consider it done."

"Huh?" My eyes widened again, "Harry...a-are you serious?"

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"Two years is a long time, H. I-It's barely even been two months since Piper & I moved in with you..." I bit my lip, "are you...are you sure you want to wait that long? Live with us for that long?"

"Leah," Harry squeezed my hands again and looked deep into my eyes, "I want you and Piper in my life forever. You sure as hell aren't going anywhere in the next two years, babe – and neither am I."

"But...how are you so sure about that..?" I asked him anxiously.

"Leah, I don't even know the right words to use anymore when it comes to telling you how much I love you," he told me, "if I ever let you walk away from me...then I'd just be...lost," he took a deep breath, "you and Piper have changed my life so much, Leah – that I can't even imagine this life without the two of you in it anymore. That's how I'm so sure about that."

"Oh...Harry..." I felt my heart immediately starting to swell at his words, "don't say stuff like that...or else you're gonna make me cry," I let out a quiet giggle before turning serious again, "so...adopting Piper is...something you really want to do..?" I looked up at him.

Harry immediately nodded.

"Well then...in that case..." I began to smile at him, "I don't see why you shouldn't adopt her."

I heard Harry's breath hitch, and I saw his eyes widen upon hearing my words.

"Really?" He asked me softly, "You...really mean that, Leah?"

"I mean it, Harry," my smile grew, "without a doubt, you'd be the best father Piper could ever ask for."

Harry's face lit up instantly, and he let out a happy laugh before he took me in his arms and hugged me tightly.