EPILOGUE (Part 1)

So the Epilogue's gonna be divided into various sections. One of them is from Asher's POV, just for insight purposes. Others are Jess.
Also, that song so goes with the situation in Jess's hand.

"Amanda, let Christine help you out," I say into my phone, walking hastily out the bookstore located in one of the biggest malls I've ever been to, and trust me, I've been to plenty of them. The bookstore manager claimed that my book was too mature to be categorised as 'young adults'. I had to go over and speak to him, make sure that he doesn't create a big fiasco involving media. Honestly, a few curse words here and there are no longer mature. Even kids use it without actually understanding its meaning.

"But mom! I can do it by myself," she exclaimed, her voice going a notch higher like it always does when she whines.

"Yeah, then you're gonna make tons of mistakes and tear the paper while erasing it," I remind her. "Christine with help you and that's it."

"But she tells me all the answers! She makes me feel dumb," Amanda mutters the last part, not wanting Christine, her nanny, to hear that.

"Honey, you're the smartest kid I know," I say. "But even the best ones need help sometimes."

"I hate nannies," she grumbled. "When will you be back?"

"Twenty minutes," I answer, adjusting my sunglasses with my other hand that is also carrying a Hermes bag. Honestly, I despise sunglasses. Makes everything look dark on the brightest of days.

But hey, no one can deny the fact that it is extremely useful when travelling under an alias.

"Okay mom," she sings into the phone. "Bye."

With those words, she cuts the line before I could reply. I check the text messages while walking as fast as my feet could carry me to the parking lot without making it seem as if I was sprinting.

There was one from Daniel. I click it open.

Can't wait to see you tonight ❤️

A smile stretches across my face and I struggle to keep my excitement within me. His work often forces him to travel and hence, we don't really have many family dinners. But the day he does return is a day we rejoice. We spend as much as time with each other and Amanda as we possibly could before he has to leave again.

My work, that is of a novelist, also offers me to travel around for interviews, meet and greets, the usual. But I reject them all, unless necessary. My daughter will always be my number one priority and I'm not willing to miss out on her childhood.

In midst of typing back a cheesy reply, I felt a finger tap my shoulders.

Fuck. Had someone recognised me? Were they calling the media? This would make the duration of my journey home much longer.

Turning around, I see a face I thought I'd never see again.

Ashford Miller.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I recognised her the second I saw her.

Okay, so maybe not the exact second. Maybe a few seconds later. But even though her face was unclear, everything else about the woman was her.

Yeah, and in the past six years I've found about fifty woman who appeared to be Jess.

What if it's her this time? Like, for real? What would I do then? I had played the scene of us coming face to face about a million times in my head on those nights that sleep refused to come. In each of those, her reaction was different. Because, truth to be told, I didn't know what she'd do. I gave up my opportunity to get to know her to that extent when I left to where I left.