Chapter 34 | Crystal

Author's Note: This is the PG-13 version of the chapter. I tried VERY HARD to clean it up and keep the important details. There is also an R version available in the "Heart of Stone: R-Rated Scenes" book found on my profile (all R scenes in the series [even in up-coming books] will be posted there), just look for the appropriate chapter title "Heart of a Beast - Chapter 34" and there you will get all the JUICY details. So, all of you looking for extra heat should head over there.

----

[Come out, Cris,] Ma said through the mind-link.

Crystal let herself out of the safe room in the basement and climbed the stairs to the main level where she unlocked the deadbolt there. She cracked the door open and peered around at the empty house, sniffing intently, and straining her ears for signs of life.

Shrieking in the distance made her skin crawl. She shuddered and stood there until the screaming went silent a minute later.

[Are you sure, Ma?]

[Yes.]

She stepped out and closed the basement door behind her.

There was still no sign of anyone around. [Where are you guys?]

The heavy metal click of the latch of the backyard gate opening and closing a few seconds later made her pause and strain her ears.

[Finishing business,] was all her mother would say before she closed the connection.

Crystal tried to press into the minds of her parents and siblings, but they all had their barriers up.

A shudder shook her again and she headed toward the kitchen.

Tiberius stood outside the sliding door, his nakedness on full display.

Her heart jumped into her throat as her eyes snaked up his body and paused on his, fully dilated.

There was something different about him. The mere sight of him made her tremble and moisture to pool in her nether region.

Her legs wobbled as she walked across the kitchen toward him. She reached for the handle of the door and unlocked the latch.

"Stop, Cris."

Her brows pulled together as he slid the screen closed as well. The sound of the second barrier sliding between them raised the hairs on the back of her neck.

"What is it?" she asked, unable to tear her eyes away from his. "Where is everyone?"

"I asked for some privacy."

Her heart picked up speed. Her thoughts returned to his lips on her neck, making his need known to her.

Heat rushed up to her face as she pushed the memory from her mind and focus on her mate standing before her, naked, and adding barriers between them. "Tiberius?"

"I'm not in the right frame of mind, Cris." His voice was low and gravelly. "Your life was just threatened and as your mate, any threat against you is a threat to me. You're mine and I can't tolerate any threat against what's mine."

She understood; the ancient, primal part ingrained in all lycan males was at the forefront of his mind. He wasn't completely in control. He had one thing on his mind right now and two barriers separating him from acting on instinct.

The glass muted the drumming of his heart a bit, and yet she could almost feel it pulsing in time with hers. He was breathing hard, his nostrils flaring as his chest rose with the motions.