23: Choice To Make

MAIN HOUSE

Lucy laid on the bed of the Master's chamber.

Her chest moving up and down as she breathed.

On the right side of the bed was a man in his forties, with light brown hair and a neat mustache in the same color. He was wearing a dull-colored working suit, a stethoscope hanging around his neck; and he just finished attending to the Lady.

Gildarts Clive.

That was his name. He was Cana's father and also an old friend of the previous Don, Igneel Dragneel. He was the acting Family doctor way before little Wendy was born.

In addition to that, he was even the one who told the late Jude Heartfilia about his grave illness which later on took his life.

Igneel and Jude were his childhood companions. It was unfortunate that they died before him. Now all he could do was look after their children.

"How is she, dad?"

Cana asked, her eyes watery from crying over what happened at the Memorial Park.

Mira, Erza, and Levy were in the room as well, each waiting for what Gildarts had to say regarding Lucy's situation.

Before turning to the women to give them a response, Gildarts glanced at Natsu on the other side of the bed first. The latter didn't miss this.

"She'll be okay," he answered his daughter as he turned to face their direction.

But Natsu knew he was keeping something from them.

The ladies sighed in relief.

Hoping what happened was not so serious.

After a moment, he looked back to Natsu, his eyes were stern.

"May I have a word with you?" he said.

The Don nodded, judging by the intensity of Gildarts voice, he knew it was important.

.

.

.

Two pairs of black shoes made sounds of footsteps on one of the compound's gardens.

Both men were walking along the bricked pathway. Flowers of different colors were organized on both sides of the path.

Seeing that they were in a good distance away from the Main House, away from anyone else who could possibly hear their private conversation, Natsu stopped on his tracks.

"You lied," he spoke as he turned his head to the person standing beside him, "She's not okay, is she?"

Gildarts gave him a glance before continuing to walk forward and stopping right in front of the fountain. A statue of a goddess holding a jar was at the center of it.

"Not completely," he answered, his attention on the clear water.

"Tell me," Natsu ordered, his eyes hollow and his face blank.

He already prepared himself for this.

The older man sighed deeply before turning around to face him. His aged face with no trace of joking around.

"There's a good amount of poison in her system," he started, "It can no longer be eliminated. Her current health can no longer be able to return to its original state as it was before."

Natsu kept still.

His eyes not leaving Gildarts and not once did he ever blink. Not even if the pain in his soul was too much to bear.