Chapter 1

***Hello and welcome to Crown of Beauty and Vengeance, the second book in my fantasy series, The Crowns.  (It's still a working series name...)

The first book in the series, Map of Ember and Moonlight, is completed and you can find on my profile.  YES, YOU DO NEED TO READ IT BEFORE THIS ONE!  It's not a series you can read out of order.  

I hope you're looking forward to COBAV just as much as I am, so who's ready for a new adventure?***

 Chapter 1

It wasn't hard getting away from the guardsmen who were always there behind her. Mornings of the market day were constantly hectic and there were more than enough people who would help their princess escape for a little bit of freedom.

Lyv was standing in front of the florist Oliana, who had been one of the first to frequently set up her booth in front of her shop, and smelling all the new summer blooms, marveling at the colors. With Oliana, though, Lyv had something new she could use to get away from her guardsmen, something she had sent along with a note to be careful with and not touch.

"Good morning, princess," the florist smiled at her.

"Good morning, Oliana. Do you have those new flowers you promised me the last time? The brixwood blossoms?"

The florist pursed her lips, trying to hide her knowing smile as she nodded and headed back into her shop.

Alyvia knew every code phrase to use with the different vendors so they would know to cause some distraction. All she had to do was ask about a certain family member, or if they had a certain kind of bread freshly baked, or even if they had been able to see the play at the theater Lyv had recommended the last time they spoke. One would have thought the guardsmen would learn their tactics, but they never did.

It had taken the city of Escarral months to recover from their own queen's siege and takeover. Life didn't start to go on as it had before until Lyv was walking up and down the main street. She saw they needed something to take their minds off their little bit of false freedom with the dozens of guardsmen on patrol. It was then Lyv went into every business asking them to participate in a weekly market. They all hesitantly agreed but couldn't help worrying about what her mother would think of it.

The first one had been small with only a handful who had promised to set up booths. Lyv went to every one of them, bought something, and talked with everyone who attended. What really got people smiling was that she had her guardsmen carry everything.

From there, more vendors sold their goods and people started coming from all parts of the city. Now, it wasn't just the booths. The theater group and different musicians played on a stage set up in the square. Even the bookshop owner Jothan would read the latest of the picture books to the children who crowded around him as their parents stood watching.

Lyv looked forward to it every week, especially since her mother couldn't do anything about it. This was something Lyv had started without her, something that grew into a creature of its own creation. The Escarrali people would have already revolted against their queen had Lyv herself not forbidden it...for now.

Oliana came back out from her shop with a beautiful bouquet of pink and navy flowers. She had a cloth wrapped around their stems so her skin didn't come in contact. Lyv knew what she had to do then once she gave her thanks, took the bouquet, and turned to her guardsmen.

"Look at how exquisite these flowers are." She leaned forward to sniff at them, careful not to touch her nose to the petals. "And they smell marvelous, too. Here. Sniff it."