#68. The Date » Steve (part 2)

Ironically, I managed to snap myself into the same bar as none other than James Buchanan Barnes. I couldn't lie, he was definitely very handsome, especially in his 1940s soldier uniform. And I obviously was not the only girl who thought so. All the eyes of the females in the bar seemed to be lingering on him.

And his eyes were lingering on a beautiful black haired woman sat just a few seats away from me at the bar.

I smirked, an idea forming in my head.

I stood from my seat and moved towards the girl. I put a smile on my face and exclaimed, "Connie!"

The girl, who's mind I poked into to find her name, looked at me with confusion. "Who the hell are you?"

I looked straight into her eyes and stated, "I'm your best friend, Riana. I've been friends with you for over ten years. If that handsome soldier that you've been undressing with your eyes all night comes over and asks you out, tell him you need a date for me because I've been single for far too long."

Connie's face went from confused to blank as I spoke. This was another of my powers; I was able to poke into people's minds and change things if I needed to. I guess it's kind of a cruel power, especially when I knew I'd never see Connie ever again and I just made her believe I was her best friend, undoubtably someone she'd talk to all of her friends about thinking they all knew who I was but they would have no idea, but Fury asked me to do this, so I blame all this on him.

After I finished speaking, Connie smiled as if I was the best person she's ever seen. "Riana! I'm glad I managed to get you to come out!"

I smiled back and put on my facade. "Well, it took a lot of convincing, but you promised this would be a good night."

"And it will be!" Connie said, with so much conviction in her voice, as if this was something that really had happened the night before. "Trust me! Look, do you see that cute soldier?" I looked in the direction she was pointing, at Bucky. "He's been eying me all night. I bet he has some cute soldier friends he could set us up with."

He probably does, but there's one specifically that I was hoping for.

Connie ordered us both drinks and started talking about her day, but I was only half listening. I just nodded along and mumbled some "uh huh"s and "no way"s and "cool"s. I patiently waited for Bucky to come over, and hopefully soon.

And as if on cue, my knight in...well...an army uniform approached the two of us.

"Hello ladies," he said, with a smile on his face. "How are you two this evening?"

"We're fine," Connie said, suddenly twirling her hair around her finger like a teenage school girl. God, is this how women in the '40s acted? Or maybe it was women in any time period. I just wasn't one of them. "I - uh - like your uniform."

"Thanks," Bucky said. He just radiated confidence. He was kind of attractive, but Connie was the one who had to date him, not me. I had to remember that. "My name is James, by the way."

"Connie," she introduced, shaking Bucky's hand. "This is my friend, Riana."

"Nice to meet you two," Bucky said, shaking my hand next. "Listen, I don't want to be too forward, but Connie, I think you're beautiful. Would you like to go on a date with me tomorrow night?"

"I'd love to," Connie said, smiling from ear to ear. "But, um, we actually came out tonight to find a date for Riana. She's kind been single for a while - "

"Connie," I snapped in mock embarrassment.

"There's no shame in it, Riana!" Connie argued.

"Well, lucky for you two, I have a friend," Bucky said. Oh, please be Steve, please be Steve, please be Steve. "We can make it a double date. Meet the two of us at the Stark Expo tomorrow night?"