*Chapter 7: Necromancers

Chapter 7:

Necromancer

With the knowledge she would be free of Bertrand for the remainder of the week Eva woke Monday morning with a smile on her face. It had been ages since she last woke up feeling so refreshed and content. She didn't even mind the cold as she made her way to the studio arts building where her first class would be held. Her quick mood was quickly wiped away when she saw a familiar mohawked figure sitting at her usually vacant table. Eva's white teeth dug into her bottom lip as she tried to figure out why he was sitting there and if it was somehow connected to their brief moment of eye contact on Saturday night and the look he'd had when catching sight of Bertrand. "He probably had nowhere else to sit and thought her table was vacant," she tried to rationalize as she made her way over to her table. The moment she sat down, however, all hopes of a misunderstanding flew out the window.

"So mind telling me why a healer was going to the movies with the executioner of the vampire council Saturday night?"

Her face paled and she quickly turned to look around at the other students, afraid they might've overheard. No one moved, no one even seemed to blink. It was like they had all been frozen in place.

"They can't hear us right now," the boy said with a smirk.

"How'd you do that?" Eva asked, turning back to the person sitting next to her.

He straightened his posture proudly as his smirk turned into a smile to better show his pride at his own abilities. "Just a simple spell I learned from my Aunt," his smile faltered for a moment as he mentioned his aunt. "Who you can't tell I stopped time, I'm not exactly allowed to mess with the flow of time at my leisure. The higher ups don't really like that." Seeing Eva's confused expression he cleared his throat and returned to the matter at hand. "Anyway back to my question, what were you and Bertrand Payne doing together? Last time I checked he wasn't big on the non-vampire variety."

Eva sat up straight in her chair raising her chin as she faced the strange boy next to her. "And why should I tell you?" Eva retorted with a small glare.

He arched a brow confusion filling his eyes for a moment at her distrust of him. "Why wouldn't you?"

"Because I don't know you from Adam," She said firmly her eyes locking with his. "Why would I tell you anything when I don't even know you?"

The boy shrugged a flash of something Eva could've mistaken as sadness lighting up his eyes for a brief moment before disappearing. "Well you got me there." He stood up from his chair and made his way to out of the classroom.

"Where're you going?" Eva asked from her seat. "You giving up, just like that?"

He leaned against the door way with a crooked grin on his face. "Well you won't tell me anything unless you know me so..." he zipped up his coat and adjusted his scarf around his neck. "We're gonna go get to know each other."

Eva sat there, time still frozen around her, unsure of what to do. Yes he seemed familiar to her and the way he spoke to her made her think that he'd met her before, like he knew more about her and the strange circumstances she'd become a part of. Ultimately her thoughts kept repeating one question, could she trust this kid? She continued to stare at him, hoping the memories of how she knew this boy would come back to her the longer she stared at him. In reality the only thing was accomplishing was making him very uncomfortable with her intense gaze making him shuffle from one leg to the other.