Chapter 13

When you think about what could possibly provide you with the upmost comfort in life, most would say their friends and family, maybe their favourite television show or movie or even just their favourite dessert they would crave on a diet

For myself, it was the invigorating process of unclasping my bra from the back and pulling it through my sleeve, my toddler sleeping soundly in her bed and my hand occupied with a large glass of glistening white wine, the bottle included on the table.

I only really had myself to blame for my lack of social excitement on a Friday night while most workers enjoyed a well-earned night of bar hopping. Mostly due to the fact that I had the pressing task I'd been putting off for the latter end of this week.

My heightened craving for alcohol would stem from every single time my gaze would fall upon the unopened file in my work inbox, opting instead to open up another online clothing website to scan through clothing I most definitely couldn't afford.

A sigh left my lips when I sank back down into the couch, attempting to forget that there was a transcript waiting to be opened and read, needing to be completed by Monday at the latest. "Come on Savannah, come on." I prompted my body to lift again and finally double click the file to download it.

The mere thought of what I would be doing tomorrow was already enough to bring up the apprehension that I had been evading all week, preventing myself from even thinking about Josh and the fact that we would soon be sitting across from each other again. Close enough to want to touch him yet knowing that I would never be able to again.

A reminder to change my phone lock screen was picked up in my mind when a notification buzzed beside my laptop. A beautiful photo of Riley had been chosen to occupy my screen every time I touched it, bring more warmth to my heart than anything else I would want to see.

Josh Parker
Still on for tomorrow?

Reality set in once I saw the message, peering above Riley's smile as if torturing me. Two people connected without even knowing it and suddenly, my heart ached with guilt that I never usually felt in thinking about Riley's father.

I finally understood that I could never escape Josh, mostly because in ignoring his message, the file that was now opened on my screen was a written transcript by Lionel, entailing the interview with Luke and Josh.

Therefore, I plucked up my only remaining courage to text back a haste thumbs up to Josh and began reading through the transcript, pretending that it wasn't Josh's spoken words that I was now reading in my mind.

I'd always known that Josh was intelligent. He knew a lot of things in high school but just struggled to put it to use until it was needed. He breezed through college admissions without a care in the world, and only really screwed his head on properly once it came to the working world.

Since then and for the time we were together, I had never seen the man work harder than he did at his job. He was determined and would never allow anything to get in his way of making it to the top, which he obviously now did.