0.9

"THIS MAN DECLINED the Nobel Peace Prize

"THIS MAN DECLINED the Nobel Peace Prize." Fury said, looking at a picture of Alexander Pierce. "He said, 'Peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility.' See, it's stuff like this that gives me trust issues." He said, shaking his head in disappointment.

"We have to stop the launch." Natasha said sternly, and Mal nodded in agreement. She felt guilt pooling inside of her; she helped work on Project Insight, but she had no idea that this is what it was for. All she had done was design schematics for improved systems on the Helicarriers themselves, but the thought of being apart of something like this made her nauseous.

"I don't think the Council's accepting my calls anymore." Fury said, before opening a case that contained three chips.

"What's that?" Sam asked, looking at the chips strangely. Mal took a step forward, studying the small devices curiously.

"Once the Helicarriers reach three thousand feet, they'll triangulate with Insight satellites, becoming fully weaponized." Hill explained, turning a laptop around on the table they stood near to show them a blueprint of the Helicarrier. Mal nodded slightly, her eyes scanning over the screen. The easiest way to take out the carriers was to disrupt their targeting systems, making it so they couldn't launch.

"We need to replace their targeting blades with our own." Mal said, looking up at Hill, who nodded in confirmation.

"One or two won't cut it." Hill said, shutting the case. "We need to link all three carriers for this to work, because if even one of those ships remains operational a whole lot of people are gonna die." Eve and Mal shared a grim look, before looking back at Fury.

"We have to assume everyone aboard those carriers is HYDRA. We need to get past them, insert these server blades, and maybe, just maybe, we can salvage what's left." Fury began to explain, but Steve quickly cut him off.

"We're not salvaging anything. We're not just taking down the carriers, Nick, we're taking down SHIELD." Steve said firmly. Mal raised her eyebrows in slight shock, even though part of her knew this was coming.

"SHIELD had nothing to do with it." Fury defended, trying to come up with a reasonable defense.

"You gave me this mission, this is how it ends. SHIELD's been compromised, you said so yourself. HYDRA grew right under your nose and nobody noticed." Steve shot back. Mal slowly sat down in a spare chair, leaning back in it. The people who were keeping her safe for years were intertwined with they ones she needed to be safe from.

"Why do you think we're meeting in this cave? I noticed." Fury snapped, gesturing around them to the base.

"And how many paid the price before you did?" Steve replied shortly, his words hanging in the air. Mal swallowed thickly, aware of everyone's eyes on her now. She knew what Steve's underlying meaning was – how many Mal's and Bucky's were there before HYDRA was discovered within SHIELD?

"Look, I didn't know about Barnes." Fury said after a moment, shaking his head.

"Even if you did, would you have told me? Or would you have compartmentalized that too? SHIELD, HYDRA, it all goes." Steve said with finality.

"He's right." Hill said, giving Fury a knowing look. Fury paused, before looking at Natasha, who simply stared back, and then to Sam.

"Don't look at me. I do what he does, just slower." Sam said, nodding his head in Steve's direction. Fury's eyes then fell on Mal, who glanced around the room before returning the look.

"Where they go, I go," She said simply, and Fury nodded solemnly before leaning back in his chair.

"Looks like you're giving the orders now, Captain."

–•–•–

"He's gonna be there, you know?" Sam said, walking out onto the bridge where Steve stood, Mal trailing along behind him.

"I know." Steve said after a moment, glancing over at Sam.

"Look, whoever he used to be, the guy he is now, I don't think he's the kind you save. He's the kind you stop." Sam said lowly, not wanting to upset Steve. Deep down, Mal knew Sam might be right, but she owed it to Bucky to at least try and help him. After all, he saved her life.

"I don't know if I can do that." Steve said honestly, and Mal nodded in understanding.

"He saved my life," Mal said quietly, making both men turn their attention to her. "I remember him from back when HYDRA still had me. They were about to do something awful, and he was there. But he stopped them. He saved my life, and helped me escape. If it weren't for Bucky, I might be a Winter Soldier just like him. I might have been fighting against you right now, instead of with you." She said seriously, crossing her arms over her chest, eyes staring out over the bridge. "We can't just take him out. We have to try to save him."

"Well, he might not give you a choice. He doesn't know you, either of you." Sam said, but even he knew that there was no changing their minds.

"He will. Gear up, it's time." Steve said sharply, before turning, and beginning to walk off.

"You gonna wear that?" Sam called out, referring to the civilian clothing Steve was wearing.

"No. If you're gonna fight a war, you gotta wear a uniform." Steve shouted back, continuing to walk away. Mal smirked to herself, turning to head back into the base right behind Steve. She knew just the outfit for the occasion.