Stannis Baratheon x Reader - Summer Rain

A/N- This imagine is based on the song 'Jolene' by Dolly Parton, I honestly love this song so much that I thought it would only be right to write something for it. The title is such because of the lyric "Your smile is like a breath of spring, Your voice is soft like summer rain," which I think is beautiful.

You were trying with all of your might to keep the smile plastered to your lips, though it was growing more and more difficult as the night went on. In all honesty, you hadn't disliked the Red Woman when she had come into your husband's company speaking of religion and faith, you had been begging Stannis to listen to you about not angering the gods for what had seemed like years. But she had walked in and suddenly he had become a believer, ready to go to war with his new god at his back. Even then you didn't dislike her, she was a trusted advisor and nothing more, but as of recent you could feel Stannis drifting from you, and you had begun to see some small hints of unfaithfulness in him.

You had never intended to love Stannis. You had been promised to him after his brother had won the war, and you were soon shipped to marry him, leaving your family behind. You decided it was best to be angry at him for agreeing to the match, but it was immediately made clear to you that he hadn't wanted to marry and that his brother, the newly appointed King, had decided to marry him off. Soon enough your quick wit had won the man over, just enough for him to spend time with you voluntarily, and from there your romance had truly flourished and bloomed into something you never thought you would be afforded as the youngest of three daughters.

"My Queen," the Red Woman murmured, coming closer to you and giving you a soft smile, "you seem distracted. Is there anything I could do to help you relieve your mind?" She was still smiling as you stared into her eyes, forcing your own small smile back onto your lips.

"I was just considering how different my husband's life will become when he comes to the throne, it is exciting, is it not?" She nodded in agreement and you risked a glance at Stannis out of the corner of your eye. He was still speaking with Davos about something or rather, and seemed utterly unaware of the two of you standing together. "Actually, Melisandre, there is something you could do to help me, but I would much rather discuss it some other time, somewhere private," you told her and she gave you another nod.

"Of course, Your Grace, feel free to visit me in my chambers whenever you feel it is appropriate," she told you, her voice as sweet as the wine you had been sipping earlier in the evening. You nodded and she returned herself to the conversation with Davos and your husband, leaving you alone in a room full of people.

"My Love," you called out, only to be met with silence as he continued his conversation, you were unsure whether he had actually heard you or not. "Stannis, My Love," you called a little louder, causing Davos to look in your direction before murmuring something to your husband, who turned to you with his brows raised in question. "I just wanted to ask whether you think I should ask the serving girls to open another barrel or whether we were going to retire to our chambers soon," you rambled and he drifted over to you.

"I am trying to speak about some important developments in our war, you can retire whenever you see fit," he told you, pressing a light kiss to your cheek before wandering back over to his small group. Your bottom lip wobbled as you got to your feet, your smile faltering as you made your way across the room and hurried towards your chambers.

Stannis didn't come to bed until much later in the night, though he was asleep far before you were, leaving you to lay staring at the ceiling and wondering how you had been so stupid as to let another woman to a hold on your husband.

*Time Skip*

"Your Grace, it's a pleasure to see you," Melisandre told you, stepping out of your way so that you could glide past her into her chambers. "What is it you wanted to speak to me about?"

"My husband," you answered her and she nodded eagerly as she sat down, gesturing for you to do the same. You didn't move from your spot as you stared at her, "I love him, you know, I truly love him."

"Of course you do, he is your husband and your King," she chuckled lightly, though it faded when you didn't laugh along with her. "Y/N, is something the matter?"

"I can see the way he looks at you," you started, "I know that I cannot compete with you, not when it comes to Stannis, but I love him, and losing him might just kill me."

"I would never," she began, but you shook your head.

"All would be forgiven, anything that has happened before now I can forget and forgive, but you must promise me that you won't take him from me," you told her, tears brimming in your eyes as you stared at her. "I beg of you, don't take him from me."

"Your Grace, I would never take him from you, you are his Queen."

"But you are his perfect fantasy," you muttered softly to her, "I have known for a while," you added quietly, "I just never wanted to admit that anything was wrong."

Melisandre stared at you as you shifted uncomfortably on the spot, your hands knitted together in front of you as you forced your eyes to the floor. "It was only once," she told you softly, "and it was not out of love," she continued. "It will not happen again."

"Thank you," you whispered softly, tears now running freely down your cheeks.

"He loves you," she added with a soft sigh, "I could not take him even if I wanted to."

*Time Skip*

Stannis was looming over his map when you finally found him, his face stormy as the weather outside of the castle. "My love," you muttered softly and he glanced up at you, his expression softening from its gloom and turning into a soft smile.

"Hmm?" he hummed, his eyes still focused on you as you crossed the room and pressed your lips to his, your hand holding onto the front of his tunic as you pulled him closer. Stannis let out a rare laugh at your action, still holding you close as he smiled down at you. "And what did I do to deserve that?"

"I love you," you murmured softly, resting your forehead against his chest lightly and letting your eyes drift closed.

"I love you too," he told you softly, his hands rubbing your back lightly, "Is everything alright?"

"Everything is perfect," you answered him, leaning up again to kiss him lightly, pulling away to give him a soft smile. "I just missed you."

"Once we have taken King's Landing I will be yours for as long as you want me," he murmured, brushing his thumb across your cheek, "you will grow tired of my company."

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. This money gives me the ability to continue writing in my spare time without having to worry about extra funds and will eventually help me to begin publishing my own works outside of my fanfiction. Follow the link: Ko-fi.com/S6S075KP to pledge money. The link is also available on my profile page and in the comments down below. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x