prologue

Jane and Thor are looking at their six-year-old daughter, who's playing in the garden, by climbing into a tree.

While the child is looking very happy, you can see the bruises on her arms. She was kicked by a child from school, who didn't understand her. No one, except her parents, and some other people, do. Jane looks concerned at Thor.

"Do you really need to go? I mean, the All-Father can at least let you go with Easter..." Jane starts.

Thor already shakes his head, "no, my father requests my presence, and I have to go. He's my King. And I'm still heir to the Throne. And as much as I would love to be with you and Skyler among Easter, I can't."

Jane's eyes look down. She knows that she needs to understand it, but she and her husband don't spend that much time together.

Suddenly, Thor's face starts to glow, "what if I ask Loki to keep you guys company? He can protect you against my enemies while I'm gone, and frighten those bullies, when they dare to touch Sky again."

Jane's eyes widen when she hears his idea, "Loki? Your brother? The God of Mischief? Near my child? He'll only play jokes on her..."

Thor shakes his head again, "no, he won't. Back on Asgard, Loki was the one who could handle children. He likes them, because they don't judge."

Jane sighs, and nods, "fine, but if he does anything I don't like, he goes back to Asgard!"

Thor smiles at his wife, "don't worry, he'll love Skyler. She's actually just like him. I'm sure everything will be fine."

Two days later-

Jane hears a knock on the door.

"Coming!" She yells from the kitchen. But when she walks to the door, she already sees that Skyler has opened.

A man with raven black hair and a pale skin, wearing a dark green suit stands in the threshold.

"Loki," Jane says coldly.

"Jane," Loki replies on the same tone.

"Come in. Please, take a seat." Jane tells him. Loki nods, and walks inside slowly.

"Who are you?" The little toddler, who opened the door, asks Loki.

Loki kneels down in front of her. "I'm Loki... I'm the brother of your father. I suppose your Skyler? Your dad told me very much about you," he speaks with a voice like honey. Soft and kind.

Skyler's eyes widen, a shy blush creeping up on her soft cheeks. "Did he? Well, when he comes home from Asgard, he can't stop talking about you and the jokes you played on a guy named Fandral, are you going to make fun of me too?" Skyler asks with a small, scared voice.

Loki looks worried and amused at the same time. He shakes his head, "no of course not. Why would I make fun of you? On the first sight, you seem very kind to me."

Skyler shrugs, whispering her response, "others do."

Loki looks worried at the little girl. Why would people make fun of a lovely girl like this? He thinks.

Jane bites her bottom lip and decides that Loki should know the real reason of his staying here, "Sky, my darling, why don't you go play in the backyard? I need to speak words with Uncle Loki myself. We'll come when we're done, okay?"

Skyler nods, and walks out of the room.

"Is it really true? Do people make fun of her? Do they bully her?" Loki asks as soon as Skyler has left the room.

Jane nods, "Yes, the children of her age, they don't understand her. Adults see that she's special, she's kind, polite and cute," the mother sighs and pinches the bridge of her nose between her index-finger and her thumb.

Loki gives Jane an understanding look, "I'm very sorry. I know what it's like to be bullied. But I deserved it sometimes, she doesn't seem deserve it at all."

Jane nods and then sighs. "Loki, the reason why you're here... most of the time, Thor watches her when she gets out of school. When he doesn't... the children who bully Sky, they attack her. They punch her, laugh at her. It's destroying the little kind girl inside her. She doesn't trust people anymore."

Loki is silent, completely, while Jane is talking. "You want me to keep an eye on her, and to be her friend..." he says.

Jane nods, tears in her eyes. "Come on, dear sister-in-law, I'll make sure she won't feel alone anymore. I like the child, she's kind, and she has a little mouth as well. It's going to be fine. I promise I'll be more like a big brother to her, than an uncle. Okay?" Loki softly rubs Jane's back. She nods. Thor was right, he's really good with children, she thinks.

edited: 02-03-2019