Day Three - World Population 3.9 Million

JACKSON CARTER

Heading down the stairs with Blake I was nervous about stepping outside for the first time since the terrorist attack.  I honestly didn't know what to expect but after the scenes that I had seen played out on the news, I expected something akin to The Walking Dead.  An apocalyptic landscape, with abandoned cars and grass growing through cracks in the sidewalk.  Danger lurking around every corner.  A million scenarios ran through my mind as we walked past Mrs Penbrook's apartment.  

"We should grab Mrs Penbrook a ration pack while we are out"  Blake agreed and we headed out of the door into our apocalyptic reality.

Our apocalyptic reality  really looked like our pre-apocalyptic life from three days ago.  In fact, other than no traffic and a slight sepia aura to the atmosphere- Nothing seemed to have changed.  But I supposed the only thing I had to compare it with was what I had seen in movies and then you only saw months or years into the future when the shit had really hit the fan and containment had failed.  

In all honesty, it was kind of anticlimactic.

We still needed to be on our guard though, if the news was correct- The threat was still very real.  The community centre was only a few blocks over and usually we would make it there in no more than ten minutes but constantly looking over your shoulder and scanning the shadows really slowed you down.

"I should have brought my baseball bat" I mused, hindsight making me wish I had been more prepared before stepping outside.

"I think we will be ok" Blake said trying to placate me "They only said to be vigilant, they never warned us to be loaded up to the back teeth"  I nodded absently, still not sure we should be out here without any protection.

I just wanted to be back at the apartment with Agnes.  Ideally in bed, naked, with her creamy white legs wrapped around my waist- I shook the thought out of my head before I ended up with a raging hard on in the middle of the fucking street.  I know that I haven't known her long, but that girl has turned my life completely upside down and I have no clue which way was up anymore.  I've only had a small taste so far, but my body ached to be near her, to be inside her.  Being this far away was almost painful. 

But it wasn't just me.  Connor was smitten with her also and even though we had talked about it in the past, I never truly thought I would be able to share a girl.  Especially a girl I felt this strongly about.  But the three of us- It felt, right.  The only thing holding me back from diving in with both feet was Blake's reticence.  I'd known Blake since we were kids.  I know a lot of what he went through growing up- not everything, but enough- He usually had good instincts and normally, if he had taken this stance on any other woman I would trust him enough to walk away in an instant.  But there was more going on with him and Agnes than he was letting on.  His attitude was just the tip of the ice berg and I needed to do some serious digging to get to the bottom of it.

"Blake-"

"Yeah, what's up, man?"

"We've been friends along time, right?"

"Since forever"  He looked over at me curiously "Why'd you ask?"

"Do you trust me?"

"With my life.  Where's this going?"

"Enough to tell me the truth?"

"I'd never lie to you, you know that.  Look, just fucking spit it out will you!"

"Fine!  What's your issue with Agnes?"  My question made his shoulders tense up.

"Don't want to talk about it"