chapter 16 » KARL

The next morning came around and Peter was first to wake up with the light shaking of his shoulder

The next morning came around and Peter was first to wake up with the light shaking of his shoulder. Pepper was leaning over the two teens with a soft smile and a quirked brow.

"Merry Christmas, Peter." Pepper says.

"Uh, yeah, Merry Christmas Miss Potts." Peter whispers, his eyes glancing down to Ajax who was sound asleep, her head on his chest and his wrapped tightly around her.

"I'll give you a minute and we'll get you home." Pepper sends a kind smile with her soft words before leaving him to wake Ajax himself.

Peter's mouth is held in a soft and gentle smile as he notices Ajax's hand still clutched to his hoodie. She was so peaceful and calm, just like the first time she'd fallen asleep on him. This was...so different and comforting though, for Peter. It was her choice, her deliberate choice to lay on his chest and allow herself to sleep with him. Despite the drama and the bits of heartache she's put Peter through, he'd do it all over again if it meant he got to have moments like this, on Christmas day no less.

"Hey..." Peter whispers, his heart rate picking up with the quick thought that she still might freak out and burn him. "AJ." He says with the light shake, a groan escaping her lips with the movement while she shakes her head into his chest. Peter's cheeks shoot red and his heart flutters in his chest. "Hey, I-I gotta get up."

"No..." Ajax mumbles.

Peter chuckles. "AJ."

"P." Ajax says, opening her eyes and looking up to him, her heart the happiest it's ever been.

His eyes seem lighter, brighter than any other day and there's this elegance within the look he's giving her. There's a familiarity to it but she can't quite pinpoint his exact thought. She can feel his adornment for her, sure, but it's different. The soft and loving expression isn't completely transparent for once. As much as she loves knowing everything, there's something calming not knowing exactly what's going through Peer's head.

"Merry Christmas." Peter says.

"Merry Christmas." Ajax says. "You gotta get to May."

"Yeah," Peter nods. "She'll, uh, we have this tradition every year so yeah."

"You wanna tell me about it later?" Ajax asks with genuine curiosity to insight into his life.

Peter nods softly. "If-if you want, yeah."

Ajax sits up and stretches. "Yeah, ya know, after everything."

Peter's mood drops lightly and his brows furrow as he moves to sit up, careful not to push Ajax off the edge of the couch. "Y-you sure about all this?"

Ajax looks away, placing her feet on the floor. "Yeah."

Peter nods. "Okay. I trust you." He takes a need breath and gives Ajax and close-mouthed smile when she turns to look at him.