Birthday Present

"Shouldn't you be enjoying your summer? Do things kids your age do these days," Ms. Ann suggests, sweeping bits of sprinkles and chocolate chips off the counter with a damp towel.

"What do you kids my age do?" I asked back.

"How should I know? You should."

"Well, according to everyone, I'm an outlier when it comes to the teenage demographic."

"Where is that boyfriend of yours anyways? He's late."

"Actually, I told him I'm not working today."

Ms. Ann stops abruptly and grips my shoulder, her face suddenly grim and serious.

"You guys aren't fighting, right?"

"No, of course not. Its hard to get mad at Vincent. He's too perfect," I laugh.

"I agree... Honestly, he's a bit too good for you," she frankly says.

I nod in response, agreeing whole-heartedly.

"I don't mean it rudely. Its just that you're a nice girl, but you can be a bit slow sometimes. You're book-smart, but ignorant in everything else. The boy brought you a burrito in the fanciest box I've ever seen, and you were still oblivious."

"Don't worry, I'm not offended. I know I'm dumb when it comes to those things. Plus, Vincent's proportions physically and facially are the epitome of society's definition of-"

"A total hunk!" Ms. Ann interjects. "You know, he reminds me of my boyfriend from high school." Ms. Ann drops her towel and leans on the counter, reminiscing. "His name was Hank and he was the football quarterback. We made out in the science lab everyday after school. Gosh, was he a great kisser. My parents were very religious, so they made me wear a chastity ring. But, I liked him so much I let his touch my breasts once-"

"I BETTER GET GOING!" I jump, alarmed by the progression of Ms. Ann's story.

"Where are you going?"

"I have to go before the mall closes. Vincent's birthday is tomorrow, so I have to get him a present. That's why I lied to him, so he wouldn't wait for me after work today."

"Alright then, I'll finish my story another day."

I try to force a smile and nod, but my brows didn't want to unfurrow. Thankfully, Ms. Ann was still busy reminiscing, so she didn't didn't notice and kept cleaning.

Finding a proper present for Vincent wasn't easy. With my sense of fashion, it was better for me to not buy him and shoes or clothes. I was tempted to buy a Vincent a pet or get him a dog from the shelter, but I'm sure his did wouldn't be pleased if I brought home a giant mutt; his mom wouldn't be happy if I got a rat. Since I was wandering around, a foot massage machine caught my eye, so I ended up buying it for Dad. Because of this, I accidentally took to long before someone the intercoms said, "The mall will be closing in five minutes."

Shoot!

I look around, frantically looking for anything I could possibly buy for Vincent.

A shoe store. No. A makeup store. No. Soap? No. Ooh, pretzels! Focus, Wendy! How about a video game? I don't think Vincent plays video games. A new phone? No, he has a phone. A watch!

I quickly run up and stick my arm between the doors just as the man was about to lock up.

"Sorry, Miss, but we're closed." He attempted to bend my arm out, but it's as stiff as cured cement at this point.

"Please, I won't take long. I promise. I'll just buy one real fast!" I desperately plead, trying to balance the hefty box containing my dad's foot massager in my other arm.