F I V E

"He could've killed you, Lina!" the three shouted once the clinic opened, glaring at me after I told the news about the night before.

"Seriously, in those fights people died and Donovan has killed people during the Gladiators, he could've hurt you," Amanda said, grabbing my shoulder tightly.

"Oh, please," Diane said, clutching her heart and looking at them sadly. "Don't say such things about my son, please. Those fights--they don't define him as a person."

"He was just upset because he was badly injured, it's a defense mechanism, he was trying to push me away," I explained, shrugging her shoulders. "The door was broken but it seemed he already got someone out to fix it."

When I had awoken this morning and came down the old, mangled door that was once there was gone and a bright and shiny new one stood with a note on the door that said You're Welcome For The Door.

"I was glad to help him. I couldn't leave him there," I said, rubbing the back of my neck. "I had to help him. I don't know what happened but it looked like he was jumped."

"Makes sense," Mia said. "This is a rough neighborhood, especially this block."

"Mia, this is a rough town," Diane commented, rubbing her temples. "Trust me, ladies, I don't like what my son does either but I have never seen him so passionate about something in my life. He truly...enjoys the thrill of fighting and I am positive it was never his intention to kill anyone."

"He's really easy to read," I blurted, causing the four to look at me confused. "Nevermind, we have people coming in."

Before I could give them the opportunity to say anything, I turned away and headed to the lobby, Diane following behind to check the new patient's in.

"You should've called nine-one-one, Lina," Leslie said, following after me.

"Leslie, I am nine-one-one in this part of town. The other hospital is right outside of town and too expensive for people here. I'm sure he was given no choice to come here."

"I meant you should've called the cops," she snapped, causing me to turn around to face her. "That man is dangerous."

"He was hurt, Leslie," I snapped back, startling her and myself. "I will never let someone be when they are hurt. I will always try and help them to the best of my abilities. I never leave someone to die. Even if they are a criminal, at least I give them long enough to live for the police to come. I did what I believed was right. He did nothing to me, he didn't put his hands on me. He didn't even try to attack me in any way shape or form. Just drop it," I said, eyeing her.

"I-I'm sorry," she stammered, looking away. "You're right. You're so right. I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize," I said, placing a hand on her shoulder and smiling at her. "I appreciate your concern but what's done is done. I'll be sure to be more careful next time, okay?"

She nodded and headed to the back to get the exam rooms ready and I sighed heavily, leaning on the front desk. "They worry a lot about you," Diane commented, smiling softly as she checked in a patient. "But please, Lina. I assure you. If my son ever did anything to you I would be on him so quick--" she said, hissing towards the end at the thought of the torment she could give Donovan. "That boy may be arrogant and stubborn but he knows better than to defy me."

I laughed lightly at her threat and nodded, still smiling as I greeted the patients in the waiting room.

"Oh, Lina," Diane said, catching my attention once again. I turned towards her and waited for her to continue and she looked at me nervously. "Well--I was wondering if you wanted to come to my home for dinner tonight?"

"Oh, no. Please, you don't need too," I said quickly.

"No, I insist. I am usually home alone, my husband trains Donovan so they are always off training and working and...fighting," she said, laughing sheepishly. "Plus, I'd really like to get to know you, actually cook a meal for someone, you know?"

I couldn't resist. She seemed so desperate it hurt. "Okay, I'll be there," I said, smiling brightly at her.

"Lovely, when we're done with our shift I'll take you over there," she said, revealing her dashing smile.

* * * * *

"I love your style, Lina," Diane commented, causing me to stare down at my outfit. It was just my usual pair of light-wash skinny jeans with an over-sized flannel that hung off my shoulder.

"Oh--should I wear something different?" I asked, realizing she was wearing her usual business casual attire.

"No, no," she said, shaking her head. "I love it. When we get to my home I will change out of these clothes, I absolutely hate having to wear things like this all the time."

I smiled softly and followed her to her Mercedes. Her home was about fifteen to twenty minutes away from the clinic and it was a mansion in the neighborhood on the other side of town where the Russian Mafia ruled.

"Are you perhaps...?" I began.

As if understanding, Diane quickly shook her head. "Oh, no. I have some business ties with the Russian Mafia in the neighborhood but I'm not apart of it. I stay on good terms with them to stay in my nice home, you know?"

I nodded, understanding, and followed her inside the massive home. She led the way down the hall into the large kitchen and I gulped. It was sparkling and super clean and nearly the size of my entire home above the clinic.

"Help yourself to some wine, I'm going to go change and I'll whip up something good," she said, smiling before she exited the room and disappeared down the hall.

As she suggested, I cracked open a bottle of wine that sat on the counter and retrieved a wine glass that was, to my luck, in plain sight. I poured myself a glass and took a slow sip, savoring the rich and bitter taste. I groaned in delight.

"Enjoying yourself?" I jumped at the unrecognizable deep voice and spun around, nearly spilling my glass of wine.

I should've known. There stood, none other than, Donovan himself. His tattooed hands were tucked into his dark jeans, a tight white long sleeve hugging his body and the V-neck showing a bit of his tattoos on his chest. I raised a brow at him.

"Let me guess, you picked the wine?" I asked, watching as his smirk fell. "A mother's day gift, I am guessing. Good choice."

He walked towards me causing me to take cautious steps back. He was close, I was pushed back against the counter and I watched him as he stood, only a few inches between us, his arms on either side of me on the counter, caging me in.

"You think you're so smart just because you're a doctor?" he snapped, his voice low and menacing.

"I did go to school for nearly eight years," I said, watching as his eye twitched. "I would hope that I learned something."

He gritted his teeth and pushed himself off the counter, moving towards the fridge. "What are you doing here anyway?"

I smiled to myself proudly and took another sip of my wine. "Diane invited me."

"Donovan," Diane said, entering the kitchen. The said male turned around from the fridge and stared at his mom. "What are you doing here?"

"My penthouse is under going some renovations, dad said I could stay here," he said quickly, grabbing an apple from the fridge and shutting it.

"But you shouldn't be here," Diane said, crossing her arms over her chest. I stared between the both of them, drinking some more wine before the drama happened. "The Russian Mafia isn't too fond of you, Donovan."

"No one is fond of me, mother," he snapped back.

"You better keep out of sight when you stay here," she warned. "They'll kill you on sight, this is their terf."

"I've already spoken with Viktor, they aren't fond of me being here, yes, but I can stay for the time being," he growled, exiting the room.

Diane sighed heavily, her arms falling to her side. "Let's just have cocktails, yeah?"