chapter seven

composers date and
guilty phone call

your p.o.v

"How is your composition coming along ___?"

I glanced up from my laptop and smiled as Haruka took a seat on the piano bench just in front of the large instrument. "About to finish Syo's song actually. I'm on the last verse section and after that I just have to touch up the outro I created last night and then I'll be done."

Haruka's eyes widened some at that. "You're almost done already?! It's only been six days since we were given the assignment!"

"I compose quickly, what can I say?" I responded with a quirky grin while my bright red headphones rested around my neck, a birthday present from Otoya a few years back. "How far are you into Tomo-chan's song?" I then asked.

The pink haired girl sighed some, her shoulders slouching just ever so slightly. "I'm about halfway done, but I'm not sure how it is just yet. Tomo-chan says it's alright, though I still feel like I could do better for her."

I offered Haruka a reassuring smile from where I sit on the couch with my laptop resting on top of my lap. "I'm sure whatever you compose will be great. Tomo-chan will love this song so just enjoy composing it. There's no point in stressing, or else your composition will really start to suffer."

"True," Haruka agreed with a small nod of her head, "I'll edit some of the chorus and then continue on with the rest of the song." She then said far more determined than just a moment ago.

"That's the spirit!" I cheered her on with a laugh.

Haruka's smile softened. "Oh yeah, Natsuki said yesterday in class something about you offering to compose his song for him. Are you really going to do it?" She then asked.

I nodded. "His composer isn't working with him at all and you know how important it is for a composer to be on the same page as their idol when it comes to composing their songs. Considering none of us are professionals, Natsuki is bound to fail unless he get's a real composer and, since no one else in your class is available, I'm more than happy to help."

"You're crazy ___, but that's really sweet of you. I hope Ringo gives you the okay to compose for Natsuki." She said genuinely. "I've heard him sing and just, wow, his voice gave me chills and I'd hate for that type of talent to be wasted on a song that he was just given you know? He deserves a real song just for himself." Haruka said, now turning back towards the piano and setting up her music sheets. "Ah, we should probably get to composing now. It's not every day that our idols are out on their own assignments giving us time to compose in peace."

Humming in response, I placed my headphones back on my head and over my ears. "Very true, wanna listen to each other's compositions after a couple hours pass by?" I asked just as I was opening my composing program.

Haruka glanced back at me with a bright and sweet smile. "Of course. Now hurry up and finish Syo's song." She giggled.

I rolled my eyes some. "Yeah yeah, just worry about your composition and leave me to make mine." I said with a laugh of my own.

The two of us fell silent as we soon began composing for the day. Since all of the idol students are currently off campus working on their first ever photo-shoot assignments, us composers have been tasked with getting as far in our songs as we can before they return. So, to put it simply, we've been given a free day to just compose to our hearts content while our idols are actually out working. It's a welcomed change for Haruka and I at least considering we're almost always surrounded by idols who want our attention, leaving little time to get any composing done.