24: It's Beautiful

The closed double doors appeared with magnificence before him.

He stood there, just a foot away from it. His figure was unmoving like a statue as he held a white antique teacup.

His onyx orbs watched the vapor emanating from the hot cup of coffee in his hand.

It had been a while since he kept still.

As if opening the doors to their bedroom was too difficult for him to do. For he knew that taking one step in meant there was no turning back.

He did not want this.

He would never dream of it.

And he knew that whatever he was planning to do, it would scar him forever. Even until death finally came to take him.

With one last sigh among the hundred ones he took in that spot where he stood, he shut his eyes.

Longer than he had wanted.

And he whispered quietly to himself,

"Forgive me," Natsu could feel the steam from the coffee touch the pores on his face, "I'm doing this because I love you."

Finally, with the last silence that he granted for himself, he pushed the doors open.

The image of a fair-skinned woman with long blonde hair greeted his eyes as he came in. She was in bed, just as he'd seen her last.

And no matter how many times he'd laid eyes on her weak self, he'd never get used to it.

He slowly took steps towards the bed.

It was like he wanted the walk to take longer, but who was he kidding? Even if he crawled to make time go slower, he'd still get there.

The cup of dark coffee in his hand created ripples with each footstep he made.

And the beating of his heart was more uneven as he came closer.

Reaching the bedside, he carefully set the white cup next to the lamp on the table.

He turned his head to Lucy a moment after, finding her already conscious and looking up at him.

"You're awake," Natsu smiled faintly. He pulled a wooden chair close, sitting on it with his body facing her.

"Right when you entered," she replied, returning a tired smile.

He slightly nodded his head.

His palms rested on her forehead lightly, like she was a fragile glass that could break any moment if he wasn't gentle.

"How are you feeling?"

"Better."

Natsu's attention absentmindedly traveled down to her belly, the very universe where his precious baby was. No bump was showing yet.

Then his eyes went to the coffee he made.

The dark sinister color of it crushed his heart bit by bit.

"You made me coffee?" Lucy spoke softly, spotting the drink.

He didn't answer and only looked at her. His face not giving away any form of emotion.

Taking his silence as a 'yes', Lucy's smile widened.

"That's sweet, honey. Thank you. I'll drink it later," she said, she didn't have the energy to move yet.