10 | chills your blood

'I love her and that's the beginning and end of everything.'

— F. Scott Fitzgerald

 Scott Fitzgerald

"HUH?" ASKED RI DUMBLY. Her brain felt like it had short circuited. Her anxious thoughts came to a screeching halt as she stared at the guy in front of her. Then it all came back full force. The self-doubt and worry and what ifs. Topped with an unhealthily late realization that the sudden change in her assumed travel plans had started to form a twisting sort of anxiety in her gut.

She felt vulnerable and a bit hurt because Minhyuk had vanished. All her previous speculations about him being ashamed to have her around, or just disgusted at what he saw, washed over her. Ri felt like she was two inches tall. She cringed and opened her mouth to say something - anything - but Minhyuk was already talking.

"I wanted to see you so I might've forcibly taken the driver's place to pick you up, so oops I guess?" The more he talked, the less sense everything made. Because here Minhyuk was, leaning on a bonnet of a gorgeous car, smiling at her and telling her he wanted to see her. And he was wearing a suit.

"I broke my phone and my bank accounts got suspended so I couldn't buy myself another one-" Ri felt herself deflate. But she wondered if Minhyuk was lying. The paranoid, suspicious part of her stirred and she couldn't keep it contained. Because it was possible, right? She wasn't ready to throw away their friendship but what if he'd changed his mind?

What if he's keeping you around because he's intrigued?

Ri banished that thought as soon as it filtered through her mind. She scowled and chastised herself for even thinking that. Minhyuk was a good friend. He wouldn't do that. She needed to trust him and stop letting every tiny thing get to her. She needed to accept his apology at face value and just focus on something else.

"-are you okay?"

The formal, very well fitting, clothing was a barely noticeable shift from the slacks and button up blouses Ri was used to seeing him in. And yes, no matter how Minhyuk protested, they were blouses not shirts. She hadn't recognized him at all. A thousand questions flickered through her mind but Ri couldn't settle on one. Regardless, Minhyuk was here, waiting to pick her up from the train station.

Huh. Now that was something to think about. Probably later, when she wasn't standing outside a crowded tourist space, staring vacantly at Minhyuk like her brain had melted out of her ears.