Secrets, Secrets Are No Fun

The whole school was excited for the Winter Ball. Headmistress Mcgonagall had decided that Hogwarts would throw a Winter Ball to celebrate the fall of Voldemort. The Winter Ball would be held on December 18th, a week before Christmas Day. And, to add to the fun, Mcgonagall had also agreed to stop classes earlier than usual. It was December 11th and classes were already out. 

"So, Hermione, are you excited for the Winter Ball?" Pansy asked. Hermione smiled. Pansy and Hermione had decided to go on an early morning walk. Hermione always went on a walk whenever there was no school, but this time she had convinced Pansy to tag along. 

"Yeah. Definitely!" Hermione replied excitedly. Mrs. Weasley was forcing Ron to come home over the break, so Ron would miss the ball. That meant that Hermione wouldn't be forced to go with Ron. And Ron had also somehow convinced Harry to go back to the burrow with him.

"Do you want to go dress shopping with me? I heard the other girls talking about it. They said that they were planning to invite you, but not me. And I don't want to go alone," Pansy explained. Hermione glanced at her friend, expecting her to be sad. But Pansy had a genuine smile on her face. These things never bothered Pansy. 

"Yeah, sure. That'd be much more fun." Pansy smiled. 

"You sure you wouldn't rather go with them?" Pansy asked, her smile faltering. Hermione smiled wide.

"Don't worry, Pansy. Between you and me," Hermione paused and leaned in towards Pansy. "The other girls can be quite annoying. I like you much better." Pansy laughed. 

"I know, right? All they do is gossip about younger years and talk about boys. Speak of the devil. Or devils." Hermione looked to where Pansy was looking. The other Eighth Year girls were walking towards them. They looked like wannabe popular girls. 

"Hermione?" Parvati asked. Hermione smiled and nodded to show acknowledgement. 

"Can we talk to you for a second?" Padma requested. Hermione looked at Pansy. 

"Sure." The group of girls started to move to the side, but Hermione stayed planted. 

"Can we talk to just you?" Padma expanded. 

"Why not in front of Pansy?" Hermione inquired, acting clueless. 

"Please?" Hermione finally agreed and shot an apologetic look towards Pansy. Pansy rolled her eyes and smiled. 

"Hermione, would you like to go dress shopping with us?" Padma gestured towards everyone in the group. 

"Can Pansy come?" Hermione continued to act completely clueless. The other girls glanced at each other in doubt. 

"Well, we were thinking that just you-" Hermione interrupted Padma. 

"Sorry, I can't go. I already agreed to go with Pansy," Hermione said in the politest voice she could muster. "But thank you all so much for the invitation!" Hermione smiled. The other girls smiled too. 

"Oh, yeah. You are totally good." Hermione walked back over to Pansy. 

"Dress shopping?" Pansy asked. Hermione smiled and nodded. 

"Declined?" Pansy asked. Hermione smiled and nodded again. Pansy rolled her eyes. 

"Just wait, Pansy. We'll have the prettiest dresses there. They'll pay for not inviting you," Hermione joked. 

"Calm down there Hermione," Pansy laughed. "And, we won't just have the prettiest dresses. No. We'll be the prettiest bitches there." Hermione and Pansy laughed. 

"Hermione!" Hermione and Pansy jumped at the sudden, demanding voice from behind. They both turned around. Ron was striding towards them. He was smiling, but Hermione could see something in his eyes that made her think this wouldn't be a happy talk. 

Nevertheless, Hermione smiled and said, "Yes?" 

"Can I talk you to?" Ron asked. 

"Do I have a choice?" Hermione muttered quietly. 

"What was that?" Ron's smile faltered and Hermione could hear the razor sharp edge of his voice. 

"I'll - ah- leave you two alone," Pansy said awkwardly. Hermione prayed that Pansy wouldn't go very far. Luckily, Pansy only moved a few feet away.

"Hermione, I'll bet you've heard that Harry and I won't be here over Christmas break?" Hermione nodded. "That means that we won't be here for the Winter Ball. Right?" Hermione nodded again. "Okay, Hermione. I don't want you being a slut while I'm gone, alright? If I hear of anything bad, you'll get another beating. Understood?" Hermione nodded quickly. "Good." Ron walked away without saying anything else. A little shaken up, Hermione walked back over to Pansy. 

"What'd he say?" Hermione shrugged.

"Nothing." Pansy rolled her eyes. 

"Oh, C'mon, Hermione! Secrets, secrets are no fun unless you share with everyone. Isn't that what you Muggles say?" Hermione laughed at Pansy's attempted use of Muggle phrases. 

"All he said is that he is sorry he can't be at the Winter Ball with me. His mom is forcing him to go home and celebrate." Pansy laughed. 

"Wait," Pansy suddenly stopped laughing. "Doesn't that mean that you won't have a date? And I already have a date, so we can't have a girls night either. And-" 

"Wait," Hermione interrupted. "You said you had a date," Pansy blushed. "Oh, you do! Spill!" Hermione explained. 

"Spill?" Pansy asked, confused.

"Muggle slang," Hermione briefly explained. "Tell me who!" Pansy blushed more.

"It's Zacharias Smith," Pansy said quietly. Hermione froze.

"Zacharias Smith?" Hermione burst into laughter. "The Zacharias Smith? Oh, Pansy!" Hermione doubled over laughing. Pansy firmly hit Hermione on the shoulder. 

"Be quiet, will you?" Pansy demanded. 

"That is going to be amazing. So did he ask you or..." Hermione asked once she had stopped laughing. 

"He asked me," Pansy confirmed. 

"Do you like him?" Hermione asked, wiggling her eyebrows. Pansy blushed even more.

"You do!" Hermione yelled. 

"Hermione, shut up!" Hermione laughed again. 

Hermione jumped as someone tapped her on the shoulder. She spun around.

"What are you-" Pansy asked, turning to look. Both Hermione and Pansy froze. 

"Draco- I, er, Malfoy?" Hermione corrected. 

"Can I talk to you?" 

Author's Note

Hi guys. I know, this chapter wasn't my best. But, like I said last time, somethings been going on in my personal life and my focus isn't exactly on writing. Thank you all so much for the understanding. Kiss kiss.