Chapter 8

Alessandro

I knew that Eva wasn't involved with Antonio's plans.

She was far too angelic to ever be involved in anything so tainted and ruthless. Her innocent heart simply wouldn't allow it. But I wanted to test her, to see how she would react... and when she claimed that she owed me something, many ideas entered my mind.

Now I had something to play against her and I was surely going to make an exciting game out of it.

Leon walked towards the other office that I owned. It was the business office, where most of my meetings took place while my other office was for separate work and almost like a study. "Has he said anything about helping us?" I asked Leon as we strolled down the wooden corridor.

A sigh left his lips. "He said he's willing but wants to talk to you first."

Alberto was an old friend of my father. He had been in the family for years and had always helped out when we needed to find important information, or take people down. And to deal with someone like Antonio, he was perfect for the job.

Once we got into the office, I picked up the phone and pressed it against my ear. "Alberto?"

"Ah, Alessandro," he spoke through the phone, his voice croaky due to old-age. "How are you?"

"I'm good. Has Leon told you about my plans?" I immediately cut to the chase.

"He's told me the basics." Alberto responded through the speaker. "You want help with bringing down Antonio Rosso, right?"

"That's right." I responded. "And I need your help. I know you're the best in the business."

A throaty chuckle vibrated through the phone. "I'll help you but I'll need a proper meeting to discuss everything. Are you free next week?"

I thought about any meetings that I would have, or anything that was scheduled before shaking my head. "No. Do you want to come by the Estate on Monday?"

"That would be ideal."

"Great." I finished with a small smile. "I'll see you on Monday."

I hung up the phone and looked towards Leon. "What did he say?" He asked with a raised eyebrow.

"We're having a meeting next Monday. He'll be discussing everything." I informed. "Let the others know."

Leon nodded and walked out of the office, towards wherever Vito, Matteo and Oscar were.

I ran my long fingers through my hair and sighed, pouring myself a glass of whiskey. This whole Antonio business was getting in my head. Especially since I found out that my sweet girl is the target. The only person in the whole world that I'd ever take my guard down for. The only person in the world that my heart truly beats for.

It was getting into late afternoon once I had finished all my work and documents. The sunset was burning beneath the hills and I felt the warmth of it spread through me.

Sunsets had always been my favourite part of the day. I used to lay on the grass and watch them develop and process, enjoying the wind on my body and the sight before me. But ever since my life has darkened, I've only ever watched them from my window from time-to-time.

Either way they never lost their beauty and I'd never get sick of the vibrant colours they offered. And they somehow humbled me. They softened me slightly and brought out the love that was hidden long ago.

"Ahem." A sudden cough — clearly put on — came through the room and shocked me out of my thoughts. As I looked towards the door, I realised it was Rosie.