VI

I hope you choose the one that means the most to you.
And if one door opens to another door closed,
I hope you keep on walkin' till you find the window,
~ Rascal Flatts, My Wish

I lie wide awake in bed, repeating the events of last night over and over again. Olivia has given me the chance to finally do something for myself, but I am scared. Scared of leaving a life that was safe. A life where I was guaranteed to have a house, husband, children and a job.

The job I was offered didn't have a guarantee that it would be permanent or the safety net like I had now. This job offered a bold and daring life, but there wasn't anything to save me if I fell. There wasn't the safety net.

A net I had grown so used to.

Before Marshall and I had left Olivia gave me her number, so I could give her my answer.

Since I left I had been comparing the two lives I could have.

Do I leave a life that I hate but can live with for something unknown and uncertain?

Never in my twenty-four years have I ever done something so unknown.

I'm terrified.

My eyes glance at the alarm clock on the bedside table to see the red letters read 3:05 am. Will sleeps peacefully like he was when I came home.

I grab my glasses and phone before creeping out of bed and downstairs.

I need to make a call.

I carefully dial the number and wait for the call to connect.

"Hello?" I sigh with relief as there is an answer, "Avril?"

"Marcus." I sob into the speaker.

"Hey, hey, hey, what's going on? Did something happen?" My little brother's voice is full of concern and anger.

"Yes, I really need to talk to you." Marcus doesn't answer so I take it as a sign that he wants me to continue, "I went to see Fallen Angels last n- "

"You went to go see Fallen Angels? Lucky you." My brother and I share a common love for the band. We've always had a similar taste for music and would go to concerts together all the time when he was still in Boston.

"Yeah, but that's not the problem." I wipe a few tears away as Marcus cuts me off again.

"I sure hope not."

"I was offered a job with the band."

"Oh wow, okay now I see the problem." I knew calling my brother was the right thing to do, he grew up in the same household as I did and it was tougher for him. He grew up in the shadow of our older brother Anthony, the golden child. It seemed like whatever Marcus tried to do Anthony had already perfected it or my parents didn't approve.

It got to the point where Marcus would try and fuck things up just to get attention, he was soon the black sheep of the family. He didn't listen to our parents, he didn't stay in check in school and tried his hardest to be kicked off the sports teams of the prep school we attended. By the time he was in grade twelve he had been suspended twice and arrested three times for minor incidents.

"I don't know what to do Marcus, you need to help me." I pull a pillow to my chest and squeeze it. The living room is pitch black with the only light being from the moonlight spilling into the living room through the large window.

"I wish I was there right now. I think you should take it, Av. You've always wanted a way out and I know this is scary as you'll lose everything, but sometimes the risk is worth the loss. Look at me, I risked my whole life on applying to a school out of the country and I'm now living the dream without the worry of Anthony." Marcus currently attends a university in Ireland to study history and art. He someday wants to be an art appraiser.