72. Remorse

As a kid, Jin hated hide and seek

As a kid, Jin hated hide and seek. He was never fond of the idea of concealing yourself in the tightest of spaces even though you'd be found eventually. He didn't like squeezing into small spaces and holding his breath. It always gave him the feeling that the walls around him would eventually close and squish him flat.

So when Jin saw you gesture at everyone to hide with a stern expression on your face, he was filled with the feeling of dread. He was gripping Emily's waist tightly that time, afraid of losing sight of her.

However, their location forbid Jin and Emily from hiding together. Instead, he gave his girlfriend a quick glance as she hid in a bush with you and Yoongi. He bent his knees and hid his trident under his legs before hiding in another bush. In times like these, the water gem bearer was glad that he was flexible.

Jin still felt anxious due to the leaves surrounding him. He took deep breaths as the footsteps of the Helian soldiers crunched behind him. Tranen's king then heard soft slapping and saw both Emily and Yoongi clamping their hands over your mouth.

Emily turned around and met Jin's eyes, just a soldier leaned on a tree with Jimin on the other side, the thunder gem bearer trembling as he covered his mouth with both of his hands. The protector nodded at him reassuringly, a small smile on her face as she mouthed an It will be fine, don't worry.

Jin honestly didn't know why he felt so terrified at the moment. Maybe it was because he was reliving his childhood fear of hiding in small spaces from the monsters threatening to devour him. Or maybe it was because he was currently hiding from the soldiers of Vrede's most cruel and bloodthirsty kingdom. Either way, he was glad that Emily was there to reassure him.

When the soldiers finally left, Jin released a breath he didn't know he was holding. Leaves ruffled as he stepped out of the bush. He shook his head, blonde hair fluttering as he ran a hand through it, grip tight against the body of his golden trident.

"Why," Jimin spoke breathlessly once everyone was out of their hiding spots. Electricity was sparking around him. "Why are there soldiers here?!"

"Taehyung must have told them."

Turning towards Yoongi, Jin saw the fire gem bearer's eyes flashing a bright orange, teeth gritted and hands balled into fists. Holly was perched on his shoulders, humming as it stared at its owner.

Jin sighed loudly at the thickening tension in the air. Glancing around and spotting a very distressed looking Emily, he immediately approached her.

"Hey," Jin whispered and placed a hand on Emily's shoulder before squeezing it to hopefully comfort her. "You alright?"

Emily looked up at Jin, eyebrows creased and eyes filled with worry. Sighing, the protector slid her hand up her arm and grabbed the water gem bearer's hand. She squeezed it, the sensation warm.