Chapter Fifteen "Introductions"

The Edgehills had a grand home in the very fashionable part of London, it was across from a park where I could see many young couples out for a stroll even at this time of day. I gave Faith a small nudge and she turned to look with me, "Oh we will see it tomorrow, I'm sure," she whispered, "It is important to be seen, after all." Patience turned to notice us but still said nothing.

            Once the carriage stopped and the Edgehill's man opened the door, her outlook cheered once again, "What a stately home!" she gushed loud enough that people had turned. "Come girls, we are expected." Faith and I exchanged looks and then followed Patience to the door where another steward was waiting to announce us.

            The entrance hall was impressive and I could hardly wait to see the other rooms, the Edgehills were well off indeed. I could see why Patience would like to form an allegiance with them and what better way than a marriage. I was trying to peer down the hall when I heard our announcements: Mrs. Woodbridge, Miss Stanhope and Miss Woodbridge. I quickly followed along with Faith behind Patience into the grand parlor. My eyes darted around the warm and inviting room as I curtsied to our hosts.

            Lord Edgehill was a very distinguished looking man, tall with broad shoulders and slightly graying temples. He gave us a slight smile with his bow. Lady Edgehill was a stately and beautiful woman with rosy curls that fought the pins that held them back. Surely she had suitors by the dozens in her prime. Her face seemed pleased to see us but it dare not show too much. Even her graceful curtsey seemed to be elegant beyond words. I found myself staring at the pair of them, two such alluring people must have had handsome children indeed. Suddenly I wished to meet Thomas a great deal.

            "Ladies, please have a seat," Lady Edgehill said with a sweep of her arm inviting us further into the room. Patience moved to the chair beside hers while Faith and I sat together on the sofa.

            "You are too kind to open your home to us," Patience gushed with an overly sweet smile.

            "Not at all," Lady Edgehill returned, "we are most delighted to make the better acquaintance of such lovely young ladies." She turned to us and let her eyes take their time in looking us over. I was well aware that I was not as sophisticated or charming as Faith, but I tried to make it seem that I was adequate company by mirroring her posture. "Why Gideon, are they not stunning?" she asked turning to her husband.

            "Very much so," he grinned making the corners of his eyes crinkle, "I am surprised there are any young men left standing after you two leave the room." Faith and I tried to smile but I could feel my ears turning pink.

            "Oh Gideon, you made them blush," Lady Edgehill chided, "don't worry girls, Thomas does not have his father's way with words."

            "Come now, Victoria, my words charmed you once upon a time," he leaned down and kissed her cheek.

            "And they still do, my love, but now is the time for our son to do the charming," she smiled warmly at him, "speaking of our son, where is Thomas?" As I watched their exchange I could tell that they were still very much in love and happy together. It gave my heart hope that such matches existed and I was in their presence.

            "I will seek him out and send him down immediately. We can't leave these ladies waiting, can we?" He winked at us as he turned to leave. I felt Faith's hand brush against mine, when I turned to her she raised an eyebrow and nodded slightly in his direction. I knew that we would be discussing Lord Edgehill at a later date.

            "Now that it is just us, will you girls mind standing?" Lady Edgehill asked as she got to her feet, Patience following immediately.