Chapter 17

Fior backed against a wall, as Cess held up her hands to placate him. 

"D-don't come near me!" He screamed. He'd heard bad stories about Py-Pyrokinesis.

Lai, please answer me! Please! I need help! PLEASE LAI! Are you ok!? Pleasepleaspleaseanswer!

Cess looked hurt. Fior didn't care. He cared about Lai. And why she wasn't answering. 

"I-I've got to go." He stammered. He needed... He needed... His older sister. She would know what to do. She kept secrets. She was a Vanisher, and she snuck around everywhere. Some people didn't even know she existed. Most importantly, she treated Fior like he was a person. Not like his mom. His mom... His mom doted on his sister. She didn't care about him. His dad did, but he was always away. 

But his sister cared.

"I have to go." Then he ran. The last thing that he saw of Cess was her long, braided black hair, piercing sparkly blue eyes, and black skin, before her shocked and hurt face disappeared into the crowd. 

He kept running. 

Fior pushed through the crowd, and got more than a few complaints. He ran until his feet ached and he found himself in the level 6 wing. He sat down and stared at the floor. He started to feel a dull ache in his chest.  What had he done? It couldn't be easy having abilities warring against each other! And he had run away!

But, as bad as he felt, Lai's predicament mattered more. He could patch it up with Cess later. 

So there he sat, for 30 minutes.

Lai.

Please answer me, Lai. 

Please. I'm worried that you're hurt.

Can't you at least say, 'i'm fine?'

Please tell me if something is wrong! I can help!

Please, Lai. 

Please.

 There was no answer. The ache in his chest spread. He had a feeling that something was very wrong. Very wrong indeed. 

Fior jumped up. Then he doubled over, clutching his heart. His back exploded in pain, and he fell to the ground. He looked up, gasping. Someone was standing over him. Someone with a weapon. 

That got dark fast.

The person swept down, going in for another strike. He got a good look at the weapon in his hand. It wasn't a knife, or anything of the sort. It was more of a... a metal disk. And when he came down for another hit, he didn't actually stab him, or slash him. He waved it over Fior's heart, and another huge wave of pain washed over him. He felt like he was going to explode. He cried out, screamed. He clutched his chest. Crying, blubbered, screamed. It hurt that much. So much that it felt like you were being stabbed over and over in the brain when you tried to think at all. With every heartbeat, the pressure built. With every breath, his chest screamed. And he knew, as the man came in for a 3rd pass, that he was going to die there. He knew, somehow, that his heart could not survive another hit. He scrunched into a ball, and screamed. The world slowed, and in that moment, he transmitted with as much force as he could muster, to Cess. He knew that she couldn't get here in time. He didn't even think she'd come. But he needed to rely a message... before this mysterious man killed him. 

Find Lai, Cess! Please! She's in some sort of danger. I don't really know what. I don't really know where. But, please. Please find her. Find Lai! Without m-

And then the gadget went over his heart, and his body stopped. It froze. 

He was as cold and lifeless as a dead body.

The man walked away, crying. Not laughing, crying. He looked over his shoulder at the frozen body of Fior Muninger. 

He isn't dead. He isn't dead. The man repeated this over and over. 

 And he pulled off his hood. 

The man had black hair. He had teal eyes. He was handsome. But his eyes held a huge well of sorrow. 

Right before he reached the door, he took out a piece of human paper. And a pen. It was blue. 

I didn't want to do this. They wanted me to kill you. But I couldn't. They wanted me to bring... To bring....You can't tell anyone that this happened. I don't know why they chose you. Please, please don't hate me. They... they threatened to kill Sophie. And Keefe. And all the rest. If I didn't do it. Please, please understand. Don't tell anyone. Or else... Or else... I don't even want to think about it. Please. Don't come for her. Please.

He placed that paper under the boys' arm. Out of sight, but where he would find it, if he... When he woke up. 

He thought about the name he signed. The name that he used to love hearing, especially from... from her. Sophie Foster.

He had signed Fitz Vacker.