Chapter Eighteen "The Scoundrel"

Faith and I began to change for the evening. She carried on about the family story of when her father proposed to her mother and how romantic he was. I could see her as a little doe-eyed girl listening to the tale over and over again as if it were a fairy tale. She did not even stop when Clara returned to help us. In fact the only time she ceased her chatter was when we were trying to un-redden her nose. That was successful to her great happiness and as she set to making herself up, Clara was helping me into my gown.

            By the time I was ready to fix my hair and be colored, Patience was at our door yet again, "I've come to be of assistance," she said in a happy sing-song voice. She herself looked perfect in a long sleeved satin gown the color of fresh peaches with a cream colored lace shawl about her shoulders and her raven black hair pulled into a bounty of curls. As she and Faith stood side by side I had to think what a beautiful family the Stanhopes were. Which only made me think of Percival again. "Oh, don't you look like a vision in that gown," Patience exuded.

            "I dare say not a man in England would not give her a second glance, Ma'am," Clara said with a broad smile as she collected our afternoon dresses.

            "You are probably right, Clara," Faith said moving behind me at the dressing table, "but there is only one we need worry about right now." I could see her looking towards Patience in the mirror, "Don't you agree, sister?"

            "We will make him unable to look away," Patience smiled as she approached the table and sat beside me, "why don't you start on her hair and I will add the color," she said looking up at Faith.

            I had never experienced anything like that before as Patience used small brushes and pots of colors to, as she said, accentuate my positive features. Faith swiftly and gently went to work on my hair and when she was finished I had an elegant style of curls contained by some thin braids. Looking into the mirror, I saw a familiar face but not quite my own. Patience had colored my lips and cheeks as well as lined my eyelids. The lady looking back at me was very lovely, but she was not me. Once they finished I stood up so Patience could have a better look at me, "If you do not hold his attention from the moment he sees you, I will lose my faith in men."

            As the clock struck seven o'clock we made our way down to the parlor where Lord and Lady Edgehill here waiting along with Leah. They were indeed very fashionable and I immediately reminded myself to thank Faith for helping me choose my gown. Leah looked more mature than her fourteen years as she was dressed in a white satin dress with an open robe in powder blue that matched her eyes. I would have felt very inadequate were it not for Patience's endeavors in expanding my wardrobe, something I may have to thank her for one day.

            "What visions of loveliness do I have to surround me tonight," Lord Edgehill said with a light bow as we entered, "If Thomas does not return to entertain you, I have to say that I will not mind accepting his role."

            "Oh Lord Edgehill, you are too much," Patience giggled as she took a seat. She looked around the room again, "Is Thomas not here yet?"

            "He will be," Lady Edgehill said looking to the clock, "if he knows what is good for him, he will be."

            "Our son seems to be enjoying this Season immensely," Lord Edgehill said sipping a brandy, "for every day he is expected somewhere . . . so he says."

            "I do hope that our current guests will help to persuade him to stay close to home," Lady Edgehill smiled in the direction of Faith and myself. She gave another lingering look at us and then nodded her head in a silent approval. I could only imagine that we were adequately in fashion for her.