Chapter 18

Dedicated Chapter Song: Dead Man Walking - Black Veil Brides

As I cry I am left with the lie of all of these forgotten ones. And we can't take back just what we did; and we can't take back the things we said. But I'll try to change this world again before we lose our hope. Feel like a dead man walking. A dead man walking. I'm a dead man walking. A dead man walking.
(Anna)

“This is

“This is...this is real, isn't it?” Anna mumbled to herself as she packed a travel bag later that night. The moment the party had ended every member of the Scouting Legion went home to prepare for the journey back to Wall Maria. They had to go under the cover of night to avoid active Titans. Unless they were the new kind that could move in the moonlight, the Scouts would suffer far less casualties.

Levi had gone back to Wall Rose with the others to prepare things there, leaving Anna virtually alone in the castle. “I'm going to do this...” she shakily exhaled, packing her double daggers into a leather satchel. “I'm going to... I'm going to die...” no matter how many outcomes she planned in her head they all ended the same way. “... I'm going to die... I'm going to die...” she repeated, over and over again. “I'm sorry... I'm so sorry...”

It was too much of a burden for her to share her plan with anyone— even Levi. He'd try and stop her; maybe even come up with a different plan that risked their friends lives.

He’d burn the whole world down just so he could dig you out from the ashes,” Erwin had once told her in what felt like a decade ago. With each movement she made her head and her heart ached.

You see, I want the world to believe,” she quietly sang, her eyes misting as she wrote one final letter to her lover. “that there's a light inside of me but it's time that I come clean. I'm not what I seem, no,” her tears soaked through the first letter and bled the ink, forcing her to rewrite it. “Some would say I'm possessed, yeah, but I'll confess I've just been obsessed with life and death and emptiness... I guess... Can't you see...all of the change in me?”

With a wax stamp and a lipstick stain on the envelope, Anna set the letter gently down on Levi's pillow for him to read when he returned from the Battle. She'd make sure he returned. 

You took these starving limbs, tried to see. Tried to see what they could be, but I thought I'd be something. I thought you'd complete me,” Anna removed herself from her ball gown and slip and hurriedly began to change into her Scouting Legion uniform.

That you'd erase all the pain that I felt in my brain. If you filled my heart with love, then you'd fill my voids above....” she dropped her head in defeat. “Now you see, that didn't change a thing...” And it was then that she couldn't hold it back any longer. Anna fell to her knees on the cherry wood floor and sobbed. “What do you want from me?” she begged, as though Hysteria could hear her or even care. “What do you want from me? I'm empty...I'm empty...”