IX

Sweet Caroline
Good times never seemed so good
I'd be inclined
To believe they never would
Oh no, no
~ Neil Diamond, Sweet Caroline

Erik keeps his promise, but in the most preteen way... dumping a cup of water on me.

I'm currently sitting at the hotel table in our room in a hoodie and cotton shorts while Scarlett brushes my hair. I ended up taking a shower after that little stunt.

Scarlett offered to comb my hair and help me get ready while the boys lounged on our beds, playing some type of game on their phones. Every once in a while, one of them screams at the others.

"Looks like you need to book an appointment for your hair." I know Scarlett is being friendly when she says that, and she probably thinks she's being helpful, but I can't help but feel a pit in my stomach.

"I guess..." I trail off. It's a reminder of how much control my mother had over me and that I allowed it to carry on like it did. Marcus was right, I didn't really have a backbone.

"What's wrong?" I can see the puzzled look on Scarlett's face and the concern. I've known this lady for less than a day and she's showed me more compassion than Katie or my mother ever did.

"The colour was never my choice, my mom always told me I would look better as a blonde. I've been dying my hair since I was sixteen." I take the hay like strands in my fingers and look at the death that I've created. I reach into my hair and unclip the extensions. I do it for each one until my hair is just sitting on my shoulders.

"You've had extensions in the whole time?" I spin around in the chair until I'm looking at Scarlett and the rest of the band.

"I kind of had to if I wanted to keep the gold curls a thing." I brush a strand back and try to tuck it behind my ear.

"So, what do you want to do with your hair?" I'm shocked at her words, never has someone asked me that with so much determination.

"I miss my old colour, but I've never had those cool colours like you see on Tumblr." Scarlett walks over to the couch where our luggage is. She picks up a small suitcase and sets it on the coffee table and proceeds to pull a bottle of blue hair dye.

"Well, my hair is in need of a redo anyway, so why don't I do both of our hair." The rest of the suitcase has makeup and different hair products. I can only assume it's the band's performance makeup.

I eye the bottle as Scarlett comes closer to me. Its an electrifying blue much like Kyle and Devon's eyes are.

"Come on, do something a day that scares you," Lucas says as he pops some popcorn in his mouth.

Do something a day that scares you.

Last night I smoked my first cigarette.

Today I dye my hair a wild colour.

"Okay." My brother's words float through my head, carpe diem.

Seize the day.

"After this, I can help you get ready for our show! Oh, and I can do your makeup! Doesn't this sound like fun?" I laugh as Scarlett yanks me from the chair by my wrists and drags me behind her into the bathroom.

"Sit on the toilet." I do as I'm told. Scarlett leaves the room and comes back with the makeup kit, "I have purple and pink too."

"The blue is okay."

I listen to Scarlett babble on about how well my hair is going to look and how we will look like twins. Slowly the boys start to trickle into the tiny bathroom. Kyle and Erik sit on the edge of the tub while Lucas and Devon sit outside the door, so we are still able to see them.