#72. The Failure » Steve (part 6)

It was the night before the big mission, and I was with Steve in his quarters...arguing.

I was trying to convince Steve to let me go with him. I had already gotten the okay from Phillips, but apparently Steve didn't like that decision and was trying to talk me out of going.

"You can't go with me on this one, Riana," Steve was insisting.

"Steve," I begged, "please. I want to help you."

"And I want to keep you safe," Steve responded. "I can't lose you, Riana. Not after what almost happened to Bucky. You mean too much to me to lose you on this dangerous trip. I promise, I'll be safe."

Steve's hands were on my arms. He was staring at me with those beautiful blue eyes, full of determination and worry. But not for this mission, for me.

I couldn't take it anymore then. I gave in to my urges and grabbed Steve's face, pulling him for a kiss. At first, Steve was tense and stunned. Honestly, so was I. I couldn't believe I had done that. After all this time, trying to defy my feelings knowing they wouldn't work out after this mission was over, I finally gave up and gave him. And I had no regrets about it.

Steve relaxed and started kissing me back. His arms wrapped around me and held me close to him. We stayed like this for a long time, just standing there, kissing. Not caring about the events of tomorrow, not caring who might come in and catch us, not caring about anything. We were just completely lost in one another.

And in that moment I knew: I was staying. I couldn't leave Steve.

Steve pulled away first, resting his forehead against mine. There was a moment of silence as we both let what just happened hang in the air.

Finally, Steve said, "You can go with Phillips, but that's it."

We both laughed and continued to embrace. I held Steve tight, not wanting to let him go for anything, especially not for this mission. I just wanted to stay here like this for a long time, just like when we had our dance.

Again, Steve broke our silence to tell me, "I'm taking you on a proper date when this is all over. Just the two of us, no awkward double dates with Bucky. Just me and you."

"On one condition," I told him.

Steve arched an eyebrow. "What is it?"

"Promise me you'll come back safe and in one piece. Promise me you'll be here for our date."

Steve nodded. "I promise."

I promise to save you, Steve.

•••••••

The next day, I found myself hiding in the woods with Phillips, Peggy, and a group of soldiers. Steve wouldn't go back on what he said and I was stuck in the sort of sidelines. I would be helping, but I wouldn't be able to stop any sort of harm that could be happening to Steve in there.

Ever since I saved Bucky, and I made this decision to stay in the '40s with Steve, I started worrying that my decisions had drastically changed the future. What if Bucky's near death caused Steve to die earlier than he was supposed to? What if him being with me instead of Peggy changed something?