Somewhere, In The Dark

I do not own these characters, I just write them as a way to love and care for them.

Italic parts are the reader's point of view.

SOMEWHERE, IN THE DARK

"Did you get her vitals?"

"No, not yet."

"Can you hand me the..."

...

"He was here again. Should I tell him not to visit? —It's not like she knows he's here anyway."

"No, it's fine. It could be good for her. Let him visit. There actually is a small chance she can hear him. There is brain activity."

...

"She looks the same as yesterday, is she doing any better?" his voice sounded hopeful but unsure. The familiar, deep, velvety voice was immediately recognizable.

"Her vitals are good," the female voice assured. "But her body has a lot of healing to do."

"In other words...?" he asked.

"It's too soon to tell anything, Captain Rogers," the female voice said. The room fell silent for a moment. "But you're welcome to visit with her so long as you keep it brief. She may even be able to hear you." The sound of heels clicking out of the room was loud but it was a welcome noise to the constant beeping that was the only other sound and had been for who knows how long. But now there was something or someone else she wanted to hear.

Steve, you're here. Please say something, please.

It was a long, quiet moment before she could hear Steve moving about. There was the sound of chair legs being set down on the floor and then the muffled woosh of a leather padded chair letting air out.

"Hey, Y/N," he said softly. "We've all really missed you the past couple of days." The leather let out another strangled squeal as his weight shifted in the chair.

"You look good... strong." He let out a little laugh, "I'm sorry, I don't know what to say... especially when you're not talking. I'm used to doing the listening with you, you can make anything funny." A tiny sigh escaped his lips and his voice got closer. "I want you to keep fighting and get better and I..."

Where are you? I can't hear you. Steve? Come back.

...

"There she is," Natasha cheerily exclaimed. Her boots echoed in the small room as another set of heavier, yet softer shoes moved stealthily about the room.

Oh! Natasha's here! If only I could show her I'm here too.

"She looks good, doesn't she?" Steve said through a smile.

He's back. Steve! - I'm here! Come on, come on, just move a toe or something! Don't leave, I'm really here!

"She does, she does." Natasha got close to the bed. "Girl, what do you think you're doing leaving me with all the testosterone at the tower? I miss you."