#22 Army

A/N

Another request for a oneshot based off a song courtesy of Kalia_Falcon. I really enjoy doing these! Especially if I've never heard the song before, because I come at it with no preconceived ideas. Let me know if by the end of this one shot, whether or not the story was what you were expecting based off the song!

I know that I've been messed up
You never let me give up
All the nights and the fights
And the blood and the breakups
You're always there to call up
I am pain, I'm a child, I'm afraid

You woke up with an headache that left the room spinning like a crashing Tie fighter. Wait, no this wasn't a headache. It was a hangover. The night before came back slowly in bits and pieces. There had been some dancing, a little kissing, maybe. Oh! Don't forget the alcohol. There had been a whole lot of that too. And Poe. Poe had been there.

You smiled. Ever since you had "joined" the Resistance Poe had been your best friend. You say "joined" because it really wasn't what you would have chosen to do if you had had any other options in which you survived. That situation had been messed up. It involved pirates, money, and a certain Pilot who saved your butt, and then refused to let you live it down.

You too didn't really get along at first. You had thought he was stuck up and cocky. He still was. He had thought you were dangerous, and a crazy. You still were. And if anybody asked you, the two of you hated each other's guts.

And yet you understand
Yeah like no one can
I know that we don't look like much
But no one effs it up like us

Your comm started beeping. You groaned at the ringing in your ears that continued even when the beeping had gone silent. You sat up shielding your eyes from the light and grabbed the comm, thumbing it on at the last second.

"Morning." said the voice from the other end. "I figured you would appreciate a warning. Like always, there is still work today. Full run. Drills and everything. And before you say your gonna kill me, I'm the Commander, so you can't."

You flopped back face first onto the pillow and turned your face towards the comm. "Shh."

"Your welcome." the much too chipper Poe Dameron sung before ending the call. As far as you could remember he had drunk just as much as you had last night. He had no right to be as alive as he was.

16 and you never even judged me
Matter of fact I always thought you were too cool for me
Sitting there in the caravan
All the nights we've been drunk on the floor

Had it been anybody else trying to get you up for work you would have been appropriately self conscious, but this was Poe you were talking about, and he didn't care. If anything he was way worse than you. Except for the fact that most people actually liked him.

He was actually nice to people so people liking him was pretty much a given, but still, you could complain if you wanted to. In your head. Cause really! that was the only difference between the two of you right? The both of you were equal amounts of crazy. Equally reckless. When celebrating you both ended up equal amounts of drunk.

But yet you understand
Yeah like no one can
We both know what they say about us
But they don't stand a chance because

You had heard a couple of rumors about the two of you floating around base. Some were pretty dirty. Late night rendezvous in dark corners type things. Other rumors were more laid back, like secretly dating. You had to laugh at both ends of the spectrum.

Dark times, you could always find the bright side
I'm amazed by the things that you would sacrifice
Just to be there for me
How you cringe when you sing out of tune

Poe was the only thing in your life that was pretty much certain to be there at the end of the day. Usually in the canteen, and dancing on a table blacked out drunk. But besides that, you really told him everything. He knew all about your life. How you grew up, how you struggled. Every time you had been convinced you were facing death. And he would always listen.

Poe could be a joker. His mind just went there no matter what. But when he knew you needed to tell him something, he was there, and he listened like he had nowhere else in the galaxy he had to be. Even though he usually did.

But yet it's everything
So don't change a thing
We both know what they say about us
But they don't stand a chance because

Alot of the female population on base really hated you. And that would be wording it nicely. You caulked it up to straight jealousy. They thought you had stolen Poe from them. From what you could tell, they tried to blame their hatred of you on the fact that you basically invented the words "court martialed", but you didn't care, because Poe didn't care.

And ya, maybe you were secretly dating Poe, but it was more than that. He wasn't just your boyfriend, that seemed like too shallow of a classification. He was your everything. If he hadn't been there to save you and bring you to the Resistance you would have just waited for the end to come. You would probably die before you told him that. But he was your courage. Without him you wouldn't have been able to go on.

When I'm with you
I'm standing with an army.

A/N

I did split up the verses and such a little differently for the sake of the story, but my intention was to improve the emotion build up, so I hope y'all don't mind! Don't forget to let me know what you think!

BYE!