23. fairies can't jump

Y'all gonna make me cry, bro. I just reached 6k reads on this book and over 600 comments! Thank you for being patient with me when it comes to uploads, the book is gonna come to an end pretty soon so I just wanna thank y'all for coming along for the ride. My heart gets happy every time I get a notification about a comment from y'all! <3

If you're a fan of mysteries/murder mysteries then I suggest checking out my newest book called Scholar! All you gotta do is click on my profile to find it.

(If you know what movie this chapter title is referencing...you a real one.)

***

"You can't tell me 'Hugo's gonna handle it' and expect not to worry," I mutter, passing Drake the ball.

Drake sighed, stepping back to shoot a three. The ball goes over the backboard and I pass him another. "It's handled, Isaiah. Plus I got my piece and you got yours, Bobby ain't gonna mess with us," he reasoned. "Just drop it, bro, we'll talk about it later."

"That's what you said last night!" I protest. "I don't get why we can't just–"

"'Cause there's nothin' to talk about!" Drake argued, his voice rising as he goes to shoot another three. He dribbles the ball harshly before going to shoot, the ball hits the rim and bounces away from the basket. "You're fucking me up!" he yells, frustration obvious in his tone.

I shook my head. "Nah, this gang shit is fucking you up." I threw another ball his way, harder than before. "You said you were done."

"I know what I said! You think I'm happy Bobby's back on my family's case?" he attempts to shoot another three, this time the ball misses the basket completely. "Fuck!"

I watch as Drake angrily grabs the towel from around his neck and throws it to the ground. He rubs a hand down his face as a struggled groan comes from his mouth.

"Tell coach I'm goin' for a walk," he mutters, beginning to walk out the gym doors.

I go grab a spare ball from the shelf and step onto the free throw line to get set to shoot. I make sure my feet are firmly placed on the court while my left elbow is tucked to my side. I study the rim for a quick second, making sure to shoot left instead of right since our rim was lopsided from a player trying to dunk.