Eight • Inescapable

King Dimitrius' Point of View

"You'll never be my King, not even in a million years," Felicity snarled.

"But I can live more than a million years," I reminded her. Her heartbeat was thumping like thunder yet as I smell her emotions, it wasn't fear that came. She was filled with anger and outrage. For a wretched person, she's braver than I thought.

Felicity's eyes glared at mine, the depth of her stare was like the deepness of her soul. Not an ounce of fear was in her body as she faced me with full conviction. She's a Lowell, I thought to myself.

"What have you done to my people?" Her query amused me. She could have been thinking of her own self yet she chooses to put her kindred before herself. Was she really this naive? The kind, altruistic, and benevolent Princess Felicity that ignorantly 'bought' me from the revolting auction place?

Then, I answered her back, "Why don't you tell me what your kinsfolk has done to my people?" Suddenly, her eyes changed. It wasn't raging fury that filled the room. Now, it smelled like remorse. Pity? When has one Lowell ever felt regret?

"I liberated you and your people, didn't I?" Her character is simply intriguing. She can be both angry and regretful at once. Then, she can switch to being facetious. Felicity Lowell, a disposition of mystery.

"Liberation is an overstatement. You see, we didn't need your fraud sympathy. We had a constructed plan on that Coronation Ceremony. Did you earnestly think I was some helpless impotent vampire?"

My question seemed to have taken her off-guard. Good, I found a point of weakness, it wasn't her people nor her family that debilitated her, it was the truth of the deception.

"Yet you call my sympathy fraud," she sneered. A genuine sympathy from her family was as good as the serpent from the Garden of Eden, that's the truth. Funny how being deceived is her frailty.

"You want to know what happened to your people?" I vexedly asked. Nothing else would make her situation better but the veracity of our vengeance.

I stepped closer to her and when I was finally an inch away from her, I held out my hand and pressed her temple firmly. She didn't squirm or wiggled out of my grasp, Felicity simply closed her eyes as if she knew what I was going to do.

When I closed my eyes, I showed her a memory of that day. Massacre. Violence. Killing. Bloodbath. That's what I showed her before giving her a glimpse of what happened next. A banquet, a feast, a celebration. After snapping everyone's neck, executing every deserving soul, my empire gorged on their blood.

A hundred and fifty years of suffering that they have given to my people will be nothing compared to our everlasting retaliation. I am cruel but astute. Why would I kill everyone? Of course, I had to let few to live and let the next generation to be born before giving them the burden of their ancestors' transgressions.

As I said, it is our everlasting retaliation. Humans live under a hundred years but we don't. I want every single soul on this planet to fear me, live in consternation under the power of vampires. We may have given them the competence of control and let them abuse it but now, they'll live to regret it every painful day.

"You're wicked and heartless!" She bellowed. That's when I realized that I have enjoyed my thoughts too much and Felicity had managed to get out of my grip.

"Oh, I'm not heartless, I have a heart, it's just not beating," I insulted. After a few ragged breaths, she stated, "Jonathan and my parents weren't in the vision."

"You seem perturbed," I mocked. Of course, they weren't dead, death would be too easy for any Lowell. "Unlike you, I have empathy." Her will is strong, it would be more than an entertainment to break the one and only, Queen Felicity.