Chapter Forty Nine

"Stop."

"No, its fine. Let me do it."

"You're hurting yourself."

"I'm fine."

"Just give me that." Chen Mu took the wet cloth from my hands and softly dabbed it on my face. I was about to take the cloth back but he narrowed his eyes on me so I backed down.

"Your skin is flared up because you were rubbing so hard." Chen Mu scolded me.

In all honestly, that wasn't the only reason why I was burning red. Chen Mu was sitting in front of me, our knees touching, his face just several inches away from me. I don't know why but I'm feeling shy all of a sudden.

"Don't do this again." Chen Mu sighed as he continued wiping off the paint in my face.

I nodded like a child as I obediently sat in quiet, trying to avert my eyes from meeting his.

"I should have tied up Mo Li before I left." Chen Mu heaved to himself but I was able to hear it.

I bit my lower lip to stop myself from laughing.

Poor Prince Mo Li...

We are in his manor and yet, he couldn't do anything to defend himself from the master and subordinate duo who seems keen on locking him up inside his room.

"Xiao Yu, bring me a new cloth." Chen Mu instructed to Xiao Yu who was standing at the corner with a basin in her hands.

Xiao Yu immediately went to get a new cloth it handed it to Chen Mu. Chen Mu dipped the cloth in warm water and went back to what he was doing.

Wanting to disperse the awkward silence, I took the courage to speak, "How is Prince Chen Hui?"

"Alive."

That sounds reassuring.

"What happened?" I asked again.

"Bandits."

Very detailed.

"I guess everything is fine now then?" I prodded.

"Mm..."

An intellectual conversation.

After what seems like an eternity of stillness, Chen Mu was finally done. He took a last look at my face and when he was sure there was no more paint left, he handed the cloth to Xiao Yu and dismissed her.

"We will be going back to the Imperial Capital tomorrow." Chen Mu informed me as he stood up and washed his hands on the basin Xiao Yu had left.

I raised my brow in question, "I thought we're going to spend at least two weeks here?"

"An envoy from the next empire is coming. The Emperor needs our presence." Chen Mu answered and went back to sit in front of me.

"The next empire?"

I'm sorry. I wasn't paying to geography class when I was a kid.

"Han Empire."

I nodded my head as if I understood what he meant though I have no idea about Han Empire. Though it sounds familiar. I probably heard it from father once.

"Why are they coming to our empire?"

"Marriage prospects."

"Eh?"

"They want to marry one of their princess to our empire." Chen Mu said in his expressionless face.

Princess?