04. 𝗹𝗶𝘁𝘁𝗹𝗲 𝗼𝗿𝗽𝗵𝗮𝗻𝘀

IT'S BEEN SIX YEARS SINCE THE MAXIMOFFS BECAME ORPHANS. Then again, six years ago, something snapped in the children, and it was bound to create some trouble for them in the future. Ever since the Stark Industry missile had broken into the complex and swallowed their parents, the Maximoffs were forced to move on. Did they forget? Never. That day will forever be imprinted in their minds, and they have to live with the death of their parents all because of Stark. The anger and vengeance and grief consumed their little hearts as they got older; a burning hatred for anything remotely relating to the Avengers or superheroes in general, they wanted them out of Sokovia.

     Could you imagine? Little children's minds warped into anger after they spend their lives coddled, watching an episode of Dick Van Dyke before their lives changed.

     Eszter never thought her life would turn out how it is now.

     As a little girl, Eszter would wake up and be excited when she'd smell the fresh breakfast that Iryna would make--it was usually french toast and a side of eggs, occasionally they'd have pancakes. Or when her mother would cook up one of Eszter's favorite dishes. Oleg always putting a smile on her face when he'd come home to surprise her and her siblings with more gifts. It was never an easy life then, and it certainly never became any easier. Eszter was merely a child then, and while her siblings were only ten at the time of their parent's death, Wanda and Pietro did everything they could to stick together.

     A life with no parents seemed almost like a dream for those spoiled and couldn't stand the mere thought of being around their parents. They'd rather talk poorly of their parents because something hadn't gone their way or because they feel as if they're too cool for them. It was never the case for Eszter; she didn't want a life without her parents. They didn't get to have enough time to get to know their parents truly. There wouldn't be any new memories.

     Eszter loved Iryna and Oleg with all of her heart. Even at seven-years-old, Eszter knew she loved her parents and cherished the time she had with them.

     But now, they're orphans. Three little orphans lost their parents to a bombing incident, just like the rest of the little boys and girls. They weren't special. They were just like anyone else.

     Little Darlings Orphanage was the new home for the Maximoffs for the past six years; it wasn't owned by anyone remotely named Darling, but to a mean middle-aged woman who had nothing better to do than torment the children of Little Darlings. Never had she physically hurt the children, but the building wasn't necessarily clean itself. Miss Novak, a woman with dark brown hair with sprouting gray hair, the wrinkly skin was finally revealing itself even under her intense makeup. Her large, thick-rimmed circular glasses looked as if they were magnifying-glass.

     Miss Novak isn't the type of woman who accepts behavior from any children. When it came to disciplining the children, Miss Novak had strange ways of doing so, and most of the time, it consisted of isolation or cleaning. Most of the time, the children knew not to disturb Miss Novak because Miss Novak wouldn't hesitate to punish those who cause issues if you did.

     The Maximoff children seemed to have brought sheer annoyance and deep frustration upon Miss Novak, certainly a challenge for the caretaker. They were most likely the cause of Miss Novak's grays. The twins and Eszter have a voice with no censor, and sometimes, it puts them into situations that they don't like. Oftentimes, at least one or two of the siblings would often get in trouble--Eszter being the most troublesome of the bunch--but in their defense, it was usually when they were protecting each other.

     Sectioned by gender, the sisters were separated from Pietro regarding sleeping arrangements, and fortunately, Wanda and Eszter remained inseparable. Each room lacked any personality as it remained dull and tasteless, nothing but lifeless colors decorating the rooms. Even with a large building and containing several rooms, Miss Novak created two large rooms filled with twin-sized beds and a nightstand at each, only a shelf beneath their bed for the children's personal items. Miss Novak valued her space; granted, the woman owned most of the building, whereas the children have only their bedroom and the bathroom and kitchen.